1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Westone Genesis Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sandmangeck, Nov 28, 2010.

1. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Anyone own/owned this bass? I am considering purchasing one, and have not found any clips of it, nor gotten detailed reviews. And yes, I've done plenty of searches;)
    http://www.westone.info/xa6520.html

2. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I own a Westone Thunder 1A bass (fretless, version 2, 1983-1985). It looks just like the black one in this link but fretless:
    http://www.westone.info/cats/85uk/01.html
    http://www.westone.info/thunder1abass.html

The neck on the Genesis is the same as on the Thunder. Really solid neck, same can I say the rest of the bass.
    These basses made in Japan (Matsumoku) are really well made. My Thunder 1A have a 18v(!!!) active preamp and it can run as passive as well.

3. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    One of my friends plays a Thunder 1A, probably the most impressive range of tone I have heard from a p-style p/up.

4. I have a Thunder IIIA Mk2 with those pickups (but completely covered) & I tell you, they rock. The IIIA also has a serial/parallel switch and a phase in/out, along with the aforesaid 18V pre. I like to use the bridge humbucker in parallel.

Neck great. Pups great. Construction excellent. Sounds massive. Get it.

P6050091.

P6050092.

5. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Man, I dig that thunder! I think I will pick it up. They seem pretty rare

6. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Very rare. I've bought mine without knowing what it was. Mine is from somewhere between 83 and 85.
    The bass is as said active/ passive. And there is a switch for single-coil/ dual tone mode. There is lots of high/ low end boost in avtive mode. But like it best at passive mode.
    I've put some EB slinky's flats on it. I'm considering of selling it as I'm not really a fretless guy...but it is a rare bass, so I might just keep it.
    5217720738_2d3d616dcb_z.

7. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    That is a beaut. You think that body resembles a wal at all?

8. love them Matsumokus!

9. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    They are awesome. I've already got a electra workingman x270 guitar. It's got an 18v preamp, set neck, phase inverter, and series and parallel switch. active/passive. The value on these are incredible.

10. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with Wal! I just know Percy Johnes plays a Wal and that Chris Squire's triple neck is a Wal.

11. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    So i picked her up! pics, clips, and a detailed review to follow. I do have one issue though. The bass only has output when the pickup selector switch is centered. I'm guessing both pickups. Is this an easy fix? I am familiar with soldering.

12. jmagoni

jmagoni

Sep 20, 2010
    I have one burgundy Westone Genesis and a newly purchased transparent red one on the way. I have to say, for the price and what they are, they're hard to beat. Very ballsy sound, lightning fast neck, and cool design. I have a 5 string Ibanez SGR which I really enjoy as well, but the Westone basses are just something special, IMHO.

13. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    awesome. any pics jmagoni?

14. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado