1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Westone Genesis XA6520 Matsumoku Limited Anniversary Edition - 24 Fret P/HB

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by slap2much, Oct 12, 2016.

1. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Price:
    $400
    Strings:
    Had this up for a while, then pulled it, such a one-of-a-kind axe that I'm reluctant to part ways. But I've decided to send it back up -- it'd be better off in the hands of someone who'd be playing it more.

Hello TB. My name is Craig and I'm a hopeless GAS-a-holic. Please help me along the path to moderation and owning fewer basses than pairs of socks by purchasing this Westone Genesis. I promise that I'll somehow manage by playing just my jazz bass. Or my other jazz bass. Or my fretless jazz bass. Or my precision bass. Or my bass that's kinda like a jazz bass but with MusicMan pickup in the neck position. Or my other bass that's nothing like a jazz or precision. Or...

Continuing on my not-always-so successful quest to slim down the collection, here's a limited edition Matsumoku-made bass from 1987. Well-constructed and great sounding vintage MIJ without the premium price. I purchased this from TB'er Roger M a few months ago and have enjoyed the feel and sound a lot. P/HB pickups, VTT and 3-way selector switch, 24 fret 34" scale Jazz profile neck. Soon after its arrival I saw the identical Purple/Plum (poplar) slap-contoured body for sale on eBay and since there was one finish chip on the front of the original one I bought it, swapped in the electronics, and put everything back together. Everything fit perfectly, neck angle remained the same, connections resoldered etc...however I am now going back to my plain old Jazz bass to keep things simple. Moving this along for $400 as pictured with the cosmetically superior body. I'd like to have the buyer pick up shipping, probably $30-$75 depending on where you're at. Comes with a hard shell case. A few pictures follow, front/back of the body and also super close ups of the two small (but not through the finish) dinks.

I found this article online with some descriptive and historical info:

Westone Genesis

Also here is Roger's excellent original for sale thread with a whole lot of additional information:

Westone Genesis SLM 25th Anniversary in factory Purple w HSC!

image. image. image.
    image. image.

Thanks. Please PM with any

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    mpdd, woodyng2 and NigelD like this.
  2. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Nice tonal options on this bass, super fat P tone from the front pickup and more defined but still beefy from the bridge humbucker. I was content using my outboard preamp boxes but there's a lot of room in the cavity to add an onboard one if you want to really open up your sound.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  3. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    And yes, the slap tone is monstrous.

4. techbass76

techbass76 Guest

Nov 15, 2011
    I played one years ago. Great bass. Monster tones. the neck has a great feel as well. Thumbs up!

slap2much likes this.
  5. squeakyd

squeakyd

May 18, 2015
    Still for sale?

6. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Thought it was gone but deal fell through -- still available.

7. squeakyd

squeakyd

May 18, 2015
    I PM'd you - Let me know if interested.

8. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Since you're looking to thin the herd, I suppose you're not looking for trades? These Japanese Westones are amazing instruments. I had a Spectrum GT that I could really beat myself for ever selling. This would make a more than suitable replacement!

Count Bassie likes this.
  9. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Oh man, I recognize this bass :)

I used to be the proud owner of this purple tone monster. She does not disappoint. You can get lost in playing this bass for hours. Tone for days and an absolute slappers delight. One hundred percent boutique quality build and feel. Matsumoku really knew how to build a fine instrument. Absolutely gorgeous bass and a nice little piece of vintage Japanese guitar history.

Man does seeing this make me wistful...

slap2much likes this.
  10. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    You have a PM, good sir!

11. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    ***Trades: A short scale 5 like the Brice HXB-405 (30")
    Would you consider a fretless of this bass
    Brand new with a string upgrade

12. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Starting to waffle on selling...I'll be putting a couple other basses up and depending on what happens might pull it. Still for sale at the moment though.

13. squeakyd

squeakyd

May 18, 2015
    I'll be eager to see whacha got. :)

slap2much likes this.