Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Westone Pantera 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Oct 14, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to have one of these, it was a pearl white finish with a matte finish black neck and fingerboard. It had a small body similar to a Warwick Thumb, 2 soapbar pickups and a two band preamp.

I would like to get another one for sentimental reasons, but have been looking for over 2 years and have never found one, not even a picture of one can be found online.

Has anybody else ever owned one of these? What did you think of it? If you sold it locally, does the person you sold it to still have it, and if so, are they interested in selling it?:D

2. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    I know exactly how you feel. I had one in the early 80's. I was in the stockade for 7 months and my guitarist at the time sold it on me (and I didn' see any of the cash.) After gassing for one for 6 or 7 years, I finally found one last year on e-bay for €219. I use it mostly at home because the band complains when I don't use my Yamaha RBX6 JM. But I still love the feel and sound. Kind of funky 80's tone with the electronics.Ya just gotta keep watching e-bay. Good luck.

3. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    Not at the moment. But it's a pearl white one identical to the one Embellisher posted in another thread.

4. Here's a lousy pic of a 4 string. Keep checking Ebay. One's bound to turn up sooner or later.

5. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    back in 86 a music store in florida (where i lived at the time) had one with 2 necks. fretted and fretless. the case was cut for the extra neck and everything. it was pretty cool for a butt rock bass.

6. just a stupid question...is that a signature bass, or is pantera just the name?

7. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    As far as I can tell it's just the model name. The only person I've ever seen endorsing them was the bass player for Cinderella. His was a black 4 string model.

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I have an online buddy that has a Westone Rail. Sentimentality aside, I'd rather have one of those for the geek factor.

Troll

9. embellisher

I've got some pics of one somewhere. I think they may be on my laptop.

When I find them, I will post them.

PBFACTOR, I don't think the Pantera was ever offered with two necks. I have a Westone Spectrum that came with a fretted and fretless neck, and the case has the cutout for the second neck as you describe.

The fretted neck for mine is long gone. It was on a bass that a crackhead stole from me.:(

10. embellisher

Found the pics!

Here are a couple.

11. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    From what i remember the Pantera was pretty damned cool. They had a contoured body like a Spector and a graphite neck? It isn't all that clear, I was pretty high most of the time back then. :D :bassist:

12. embellisher

The 5 string version had a contoured body. I don't think the 4 string did.

The neck was not graphite, although I remember 2 or 3 local guitar shops claiming it was, due to the black satin finish.

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    WOAH! Look at the pile of cases in the background! Dude, you make my GAS problems seem small.

Monthly mortgage: too much.
    Monthly GAS bill: double the mortgage.
    Getting your wife to accept the above: priceless.

(sorry about the off-topic post... just had to) :)

14. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Westone did have a few Graphite neck basses and guitars, they had a deal with modulus. You can tell if it has one because it says "licensed by modulus" on the back of the headstock... here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check THIS site out for more details...

Alex

15. embellisher

:D

Those aren't my cases. Those pics are from a shop that I almost bought a Pantera 5 from last November, but I had to back off because of Christmas.

16. embellisher

Alex, thanks for the info.

I knew that there were a few Westones with graphite necks, but have never seen one in person or in pics, until now.

It's good to know that there is a definitive way to tell.

When I bought my Pantera new years ago, they claimed 'graphite neck'.

I made them pull the neck, and you could tell once the neck was removed that it was wood. There was a bit of wood visible around the trussrod nut route, and you could see wood in the holes where the neck bolts on.

The same dealer was making 'graphite' claims a year later, on Westone guitars that had wood necks.

I stopped doing business with them, and spread the word that they were liars.