Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

westone raider

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by helen, Apr 21, 2002.

1. helen

helen

Apr 21, 2002
    manchester, uk
    is £125 an ok price for a westone raider bass? or could my money be spent more wisely?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Helen, and welcome to Talkbass.
    Can't give any advice on the Westone. The only Westones I've seen were the old "rails", and haven't even played one of them. My only advice on buying a bass as a starter is to use some common sense. If you are already a guitar player, you know that things like fret condition, pots, neck straightness, and general comfort and balance of the instrument are the important basics. If you have access to basses, spend some time playing those in your price range. Some people think about the resale of their bass once they get tired of it, or want to move up in quality, so they buy a brand name like Fender, or as mentioned, Yamaha. Of primary concern, though, is that you like the bass you get, because if you don't like it, you won't play it. Make sure you like the feel of the neck, and if it is comfortable in your hand. If you are a guitar player, you might like a thinner nut width to start. Make sure the body isn't too heavy for you, and there isn't a neck dive (let go of the bass and see if the head swings down). See if you like the tone of the bass through the same or similar amp that you plan to use ( I hope you are not planning on using your guitar amp). If you have friends that play bass, maybe they can give you some pointers, but don't necessarily pick the bass that THEY want. Remember that it is common that a bass hanging in a shop needs strings and a set-up that suits you, so keep that in mind. Also, if you are buying from a shop, ask for all the extras you can get, including a case or bag, a strap, or a cable, before you'll make the deal. Good luck, and let us know what you get.
    Doc