1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Westone Rail bass (NBD #66) Oddest of the lot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    Just picked up a Westone Rail bass and it is the oddest bass in the entire collection.
    Looks like the 1985 model since the side inlays are white not red (but the fretboard inlays are red).
    There is no tone switch. You slide the pickup along the rails to modify the tone. How cool is that?
    The case is even in half decent shape for a 30 years old.
    One Problem ...
    How the heck to I find a stand to hold it in?

DSCF0045_zpsac16c1fb.
    DSCF0048_zps993934f6.
    DSCF0047_zps71bea4cd.
    DSCF0046_zps38f325a9.
    DSCF0044_zps91e8b376.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Haven't seen one of these in a while.... Kinda taking a Stienberger and a Gibson Grabber's love child gone too far.

Not functional really, but I recall they sounded pretty good.... And would be a great conversation piece/wall piece.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You basically have to put it in a stand upside down. It looks weird, but works.

4. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    My school owns one of these, and I used it for a production. I liked it. Very weird, and I never fiddled with the mobile pickup.

5. Buy a gun rack? ;)

6. And the award for most unusual design goes to this bass!
    Anyways, that is truly interesting. I imagine it being terribly uncomfortable to play though.

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
  8. I've got a black one. Neat piece, congrats. I find it sounds great but it's terrible ergonomically.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Not sure what you're talking about when you say "not functional". I had one in the mid 80's (that got stolen or I'd probably still have it) and for me the thing was a revelation in terms of understanding what differences pickup placement can make. The large range of that sliding pickup gives a huge variety of tonal variations. If you mean ugly, kinda cheaply built and not especially comfortable to play I'd agree with that. In spite of those drawbacks though it's still a very useable instrument that's more than just a wall hanger.

I used to use a regular stand with the bottom cradle part removed and the body sitting on the floor. I imagine the same idea would work even better with a more bomber stand like this.

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    great bass, enjoy it

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very unique the sliding pickup is very innovative and probably could be adapted to basses made today?

12. XsSpeed

XsSpeed

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I'm getting one too. I'm excited. Do you just use regular strings on them?

13. Any strings will work, you just have to cut them shorter than you're used to. Partly because of the way they anchor and partly because it's short scale.

14. XsSpeed

XsSpeed

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    ok but it's not a short scale is it?

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I've always wanted one of these as a studio bass. Nice find. :)

16. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Cool Westone Rail. I have one too . It was my first bass, couldn't resist buying it when I saw the ad. My bag for it is in pretty good shape too . I wrap a face cloth over the end of the fretboard to keep the string ends from chewing up the inside of the case . The scale on mine is about 32 1/2 inches. Weighing mine on a bathroom scale it is about 7 1/2 or 8 pounds.

Enjoy have fun.

100_0618.

100_0616.

17. Yes, it is. 32".

18. XsSpeed

XsSpeed

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Mine's pretty cool. I get some cutting out at the jack. I took the back electrics cover off and sprayed contact cleaner in it. Any other suggestions? I wanna use this live but don't want it to cut out.

19. Hi.

Replace the jack.

Cleaning is always a temporary fix at best, if even that.

The same goes for cheap potentiometers.

Regards
    Sam

20. XsSpeed

XsSpeed

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks Sam