1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Westone um2 vs. Shure E5 In Ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by King David, Jul 30, 2007.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am quite Shure (get it) that this topic has been covered, but it is really hard to search for model numbers witht the searc restriction being 3 or more letters. Can anyone give me a breakdown of which they prefer and why.

Here is what I know so far
    Price: Um2 is better $290 vs $399
    Wires: Shure seems to have a thicker wire which perhaps is more durable
    Comfort: Shure may be more comfortable based off of one opinion

Othere opinions and thoughts?

2. the Shure wire cannot be removed or replaced as far as I know, I think the Um2 one may be removable/swappable in the event of a breakage?

Both should be capable using of custom molds if you wish to go for ultimate comfort

I Live in South Africa nad have been loking at IEM myself, fortunately the Shure E5 is available to me at a much better price over here, so the decision is much easier for me... :)

3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Replacable wires? I saw that somewhere on a board somewhere, but I can't find it on any official Westone literature.

4. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    You can't find it anywhere because it's Westone's Elite Series that have the removeable cable, not the Universal.

http://www.westone.com/music/elite.html#es1

Check out this site:

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/

Most of the models (regardless of brand) that offer replaceable wires are those that are custom molded. It's just part of the design, construction, and attention to detail that comes with purchasing that level of IEM (in-ear monitor).

If you're looking at non-molded IEMs, I would add some of the Ultimate Ears products to the list also (see "Super.fi 5 Pro"). They get consistent ratings like the Westones. Another company to look out for is Live Wires. I'm getting a set in the next week or so ($250). I'm totally sold on them, but that's just me. Someone stepped on my Shures, so I've been in the market for the past month.

EDIT:http://www.livewiresforyou.com/index.php

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    THere is not a ton of info at the livewires website. How are you sold on them? I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but have you tried them?

6. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    The LiveWires product is very new, granted.

Just from some of the reviews I've read and the testimonials of some friends of mine with very particular ears. I'm not saying they're the best product out there regardless of price, but, for my personal taste, I'm totally sold on them.

For me, it's come down to spending ~$300. I really liked the Shure E4C's that I tried, but then heard about these LiveWires and Future Sonics Atrio Series. I don't know anyone who owns the Future Sonics, so I decided to go with the LiveWires. If I don't like them, I know that I can return them to LiveWires within thirty days and try the Atrios. I wouldn't lose much.

The reviews I've read on the Future Sonics make them sound like another great choice. Very nice frequency response with good mid articulation and slightly rolled-off highs.

http://www.futuresonics.com/atrio/index.html

7. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Keep me posted on the Live Wires...Please!

Do they have you go to an audiologist for molds?

8. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Yes, but you just need impressions. If you go see an audiologist for molds, they will charge you more. Specify that all that you need are the impressions. This is true of any molded IEMs. The company you're buying the IEMs from will take those impressions and do the rest.

:)