Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Westone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theraphosa, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Does anybody have information about the Westone basses. I know that the manufacturer at least built thunder basses, mostley left handed, and Spectrum GT basses. That's the monster I'm playing for almost eleven years now. Mine is built between '86 and '88, it has a massive body, and can produce a lot of noise.
    Please let me know, if you have any info on the basses.

Thanx, and greetz from Holland

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Can't help you much with info on these, but I have two Westone The Rails. This is one of them (Fretted, the other one is fretless):

[​IMG]

4. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Good sites there Embellisher.

I got's a Westone Spectrum GT which I defretted and then did this to it:

Westone mod

5. Wow, in just one day I have more information than in the last three months. Thanx a lot!!!!!

more greets from holland,

Dennis

6. that rail bass looks pretty interesting..hopefully plays and sounds decent!

7. embellisher

Here is my Spectrum.

[​IMG]

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Even though the pickup slides along the rails, it doesn't have all that much tonal variety, and there is only a volume pot, but it does make for a fun funk machine, and it's very easy to play as it is 32" scale.

9. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    I play an old westone too, but really don't know much about it, except that it's an active 4-string fretted and plays like a dream. I've heard that the newer westones have gone downhill though, since moving factory and using Japanese parts.

10. Hey, guys,

that's a fine looking Spectrum you've got, Embellisher. I have the same model, only it's coloured red, with some kind of layer over it, so the bass got a beautiful metallic coloration. I'll display it on the forum a.s.a.p.
    The rail bass is extravagant. hope it plays like that too! I've never ever seen a bass like that, and think I never will again.
    Does anyone know what somebody would pay for a spectrum? I don't want to sell mine, definitely NOT, but I'm just curious.

C U

11. embellisher

In the USA, the Spectrums normally go for around $200 - $300 depending on condition, etc. They are not that well known, and IMHO that makes them a bargain.

Here is a picture of my Quantum.

[​IMG]

12. embellisher

Here is another.

[​IMG]

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Interesting sites, but I have never found a picture of the bass I had in the 1980s.

It was a Westone Thunder IIIa - it was fretless, with exotic woods and natural finish with a fantastic ebony fingerboard. Neck-through and looked and sounded fantastic - I got lots of compliments!

I've never seen one since, but this one was damaged on the way to the recording studio and a small switch on the body was broken. I got the shop where I bought it, to repair this for free - but it never sounded the same again, so I ended up trading it in for another bass.

But I've never heard a fretless since that sounded so good - but this may be a sort of 'halo effect', looking back at a time when I was doing really well as a bass player and expected to make it in the music business - the Thunder III really gave me a distinctive sound, but when I lost it, my musical career flagged as well! :(

EDIT - I notice this place will hire you one!!

http://www.harris-hire.co.uk/basses/mis_bass.htm

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Similar - but mine had much darker, redder wood and had an unlined fretless Ebony fingerboard.

The pickups were also very different on mine - black for a start, but not so chunky and ugly! I reckon these have been added by the owner!

Mine didn't have an XLR - just a jack !

16. Bruce Lindfield

Whoops - I only looked at the first one at the top of the page! :oops:

Didn't see this picture :

[​IMG]

Mine was just like the one on the right foreground, but with fretless unlined ebony board!!

17. Now I know that I got the right bass. Yesterday I bought a Hartke amp, the 3500 Mosfet (350 watts) and a 4*10" Trace Elliot speaker. WOW. the drummer got knocked out, the guitarist started tripping and the singer jumped up. The drummer said that I should never sell my Westone, the combination I have know will kick everybody's ass. It's just a pity he wouldn't trade his music man for my Westone. but hey, I don't even care anymore.

Thanx to everybody for the beautiful pics of the Westones and the information!!!

More greetz from holland,

Dennis