1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wet Sounding Jazz Pickups??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by longview21guns, May 18, 2017.

1. longview21guns

longview21guns

Jan 6, 2017
    I'm not really sure of other words to describe what I am looking for...

I have a jazz bass right now, but I am not quite getting the tone that I want out of it.

My bass teacher has a jazz bass that sounds like exactly what I want no matter what amp he uses (he still gets the real wet sound on a clean amp without any reverb or other fx)

Does anyone know of any pickups/ways I could get this tone?

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Practice.

Frenchy-Lefty and chaak like this.
  3. The tone probably came from his hands, rather than his gear, but why don't you just buy whatever pickups he has?

MattZilla and chaak like this.
  4. as Snaxstr above...while fingers have MUCH to do with it, start with the natural acoustic sound of the two instruments based on their construction and materials, the fingerboard is a big one, and then how the pickups are literally made. ( not all Jazz pickups are equal even thought hey look like it.)

In fact, ask your sensei about it, it is a worthy discussion in your becoming a good bassist. You, for now, have an idea of what your natural voice may be. Solid!

I'm real curious as to how "wet" sounds, yet I know if you tried to describe it, it wouldnt clarify it well enough.

MattZilla likes this.
  5. Have him use your bass and see if he gets the same sound out of it. If he does, then it's in the hands...
    Ask him what his Jazz is made of (pickup-wise...)

MattZilla likes this.
  6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Does it sound that way when you play it?

Try the same strings and plug in with his cable (I'm serious).

If that doesn't get you there, try the same pickups.

If that doesn't get you there, try a bass made from the same woods, with same strings and pickups.

If that doesn't get you there, welcome to hell. We always have room >_>

bigsnack likes this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

"Wet"??o_O??

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Bodeanly likes this.
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    There's an old Jeff Baxter interview from Guitar Player Magazine where he talked about being the session guitarist on a Dolly Parton album and Dolly asked him to play something "all green and sparkly".
    Jeff says (to the interviewer, not to Dolly) "What do you do when someone asks you play something 'green'? Well, as a professional musician you rely on your experience; you think back on all the times you played something that made someone say 'Hey, that sounds really green!' and then you try to remember what you did that time."

That being said...

I have to admit when I first read the OP I didn't give a second thought to his request; I knew exactly which one of my basses sounds "wet" and I do indeed attribute that "wetness" to the pickups.
    So if I knew for a fact that OP and I think about sounds in exactly the same way, I would simply tell OP about my bass and solve his problem.

But what if "wet" to me is "green and sparkly" to OP? :)

MattZilla likes this.
  9. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Wet and dry are audio terms you guys

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yes. Terms that mean whether or not an effect is present. If a pedal has a "wet" and a "dry" output, for example, the first will have the effect on it and the second won't. Similarly a wet/dry blend knob will control how much unaffected signal is mixed with the processed signal.

"Wet" is meaningless without knowing what effect you're talking about.

Until OP can describe the tone he wants better, or provide a link to an example, there is no way of answering his question.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    JJR58, gebass6 and JGbassman like this.
  11. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Weirdly I can imagine 'dry' Jazz bass pickups no problem. Sort of brittle, gritty-sounding pickups with lots of shrill highs. If wet is the opposite of that... Dimarzio Model J pickups maybe? Attenuated highs, and a strong darker low-mids presence?

12. Audio examples from op would be exquisite.

gebass6 likes this.
  13. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Like this?
    ZYUW3-PANASONIC-TS5.jpg

Axstar, BuffaloBass and Bodeanly like this.
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm guessing "wet" to mean "thick, grindy and compressed", which is more about downstream, i think. (i still recall first playing through a real '70s SVT with the low boost on and thinking of that grindy on top, fat on the bottom and sustainy all around tone as "juicy".)

15. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Difference Between Wet and Dry Signals or Sounds | Difference Between

"Wet sounds or signals are the opposite of dry sounds. Wet sounds/signals are the type of sounds that undergo a process and modifications. Wet sounds/signals are created by using a special audio device. The effects are usually added while recording or while the sound is being “mixed.”

There are many types of effects, but they are categorized into three areas. The first category is dynamic-based effects which alter the sound’s level of dynamics. Examples include: limiters, maximizers, and expanders. The second category is the frequency-based effects that manipulate the frequency of the signal/sound. Distortions, equalizers, and wah-wah are examples of this category.

The last category is the time-based effects which comprise a delay (further examples include reverbs, echoes, choruses, flangers, phasers) and derivatives.

Wet sounds/signals, including sound effects, are artificially made sounds or signals which are used for technical and aesthetic purposes. They are often applied in media like films, television and radio programs, video games, live performances, animation, and many others.
    Wet sounds/signals are based on dry sounds/signals."

So "wet"= Processed.Compressed.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    BuffaloBass likes this.
  16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Well, I'll be...

Learn somethin' every day.

17. Well heck fellas, with single coils, when I run the neck ( or bridge) only and tone WOT its gets real "wet", drippin' with da FUNK! Yet its not processed in any way, it only sounds like it. :)

Now I know the technical definition. Guess I like my funk dry, and so raw it feels wet! :bassist:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

#TheFunk!

BuffaloBass likes this.
  19. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    If you're perceiving a woody and resonant tone, he probably has "vintage" wound pickups. If this is the case, check out the usual suspects: Lindy Fralin (5% underwound), Seymour Duncan Antiquity, Nordstrand "v" pickups, etc.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  20. Also, and this may sound goofy, but an uber low action can also give a more "wet" tone, than a high and "dry" one, with no signal chain alteration.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021