Wet speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ihixulu, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    My basement flooded. :hyper:

My prized EV210B cab was down there in a vertical array arrangement and one of the speakers (EV10BX) was submerged halfway. Do I:

a) recone and get back to playing.

b) toss it and hope another one miraculously shows up on the market

or c) wait for it to dry and pretend nothing happened.

Also, I am in the process of drying and cleaning out all my pedals, an old combo amp and a Musicman HD-130 which was completely submerged. Any advice regarding ways of dealing with this would be appreciated.
  2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I would try letting it dry and testing it before doing anything else. I remember watching a drunk audience member trip over a floor wedge (no raised stage at this venue) causing it to tip back pointing the speaker straight up. He then managed to spill a rather large beer into it. The speaker creating a bowl like depression that held the beer, and it was mildly amusing to note how much the vibrating speaker caused the carbonation to go wild. Unplugged the monitor, and let it dry out a bit till the next set. That monitor still functions like new to this day. Does this mean your cab wll be ok, nope. But I think that I would at least attempt to salvage before scrapping it.
  3. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

By all means dry it out and test it.
    I had a JBL 15 some years ago in the back of my open pickup with the cone pointing to the sky...unfortunately it rained...really hard and soaked the speaker completely.
    We did sound check with only one mains and waited till the last minute before the gig to put signal to it.
    It was obviously dry enough come show time...did the gig and had no failures, none later either.

As far as the amps and electronics, make sure there is no damp mud in between connectors and circuit boards, if there is wash it out with clear water and dry thoroughly. Try not to get paper electrolytic capacitors any wetter they might be toast anyway but you won't know till they are dry and you power up.
    The more modern amps use plastic coated capacitors so this is not a concern.
    Do not put anything in oven to dry and especially not in the microwave!!!!
    Longer drying times at room temp are better than forcing the stuff to dry fast.
    Usually electronics will work when dry unless it was powered when it got wet, then you might have a problem.