We've come a long way, baby

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Jul 8, 2002.

1. A month ago I began taking private lessons at a local school. The teacher is primarily a guitar player but he's pretty good on bass aswell. I've had eight lessons now and the last one was today. And man, does taking lessons help. Big time. When I got there I started by playing some riff badly and then fumbling up pretty badly on a jazz standard.

Today we improvised through "Something" by the Beatles and then we jammed on a couple of standards, and if I do say so myself, I did pretty well. It was nothing fancy, just basic stuff but with some walking and wankery thrown in for good measure. You know, the kind of stuff I couldn't do to save my life a month ago.

Even my friends noticed the improvement. I had some of them over last night to check out my new strings (Flatwounds. But we still have no life. :p) and I improvised a little song for them on the spot and while, again, it wasn't that fancy, it sounded good. And I even had a little slap thrown in to impress them for real. :D :rolleyes:

Next month I'm going to get a fake book and start jamming vigorously on some standards, but for now there's nothing to do now but wait for the summer to go away and then join/found a band and start doing some things for real, because I finally think that I'm ready to be in a band and be able to not rely on the guitarist all the time to function.

To sum up:

*Camp Chaos James Hetfield on*

LESSONS, GOOD! (Wave of hand movement follows)

*Camp Chaos James Hetfield off*

That is all.
  2. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey gunner
    thats awesome man
    I started taking lessons 3 months ago
    by a guy who is the lead guitarist at church but sometimes plays bass when the bassist at church isn't there.. hes pretty good on bass too
    Lessons not only make you better as a player.. but they expand your musical taste.. as they did mine.. I used to play nothing but metal (and sucked at it).. now i play alot more blues and some jazz stuff .. congrats on how much youve progressed i think thats awesome man... how long have you been playing? ive only been playing bass 6 months but i think ive learned alot from mike(my teacher)
    the first time i came in mikes studio at sat down and played i used 1 finger to fret and went all over and wore myself out.... i played way too hard.. nothing but downstroke with the pick... fast foward to now.. im using all 4 of my fingers(sometimes my thumb) on everything and im slappin ,poppin, tappin and playing with my fingers now..my touch is much softer and i can play more without killing my hands..
    good luck with the lessons dude
    just have fun
  3. I've been playing for a year come August. A little longer if you count the time I played basslines on a guitar because I didn't have a bass. :)

The most important thing he tought me was to keep it simple. That was accomplished with a heavy dosage of the Beatles. Before I used to think that to stand out I had to play very complicated lines that didn't serve the song at all, but now it's way different.

Expanding my musical taste came shortly after I started coming here. Since all these cats around here were listening to all of this stuff, there had to be something to it.