We've seen your basses, But how about some recognition to the cases and gigbags?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slick519, Apr 26, 2002.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    for the huge job that our gigbags and cases do for us, there is very little recognition for them.

Oh well, to the point, lets see your cases and GB's, eye popping, or dignified, whatever you have.

well, thanks,

=w= Slicks =w=
  2. I don't have any pics, but you've all seen a Fender gig bag. And for those of you who haven't seen an Ashbory gig bag, they've got a cool sky blue interior.
  3. I've got a softshell case, which is crap, and a regular looking GB.

Nothing special.
  4. Cases/gig bags are kinda scattered all over the place, so....
    Here's my Levy's leather bag and my Tacoma Thunderchief HSC:
    Next is a whole bunch of em! From top down: Bass Central/Undercover Cases double, Lakland, MTD, Brubaker, and then an Ovation 12 string:
    This is an interesting bag called a "Real Bag". I can't recall which bass it came with, but it is a really nice bag that is longer than my other bags:
  5. This one isn't a bass case, but it's by far the coolest case I own. McInturff Guitars (it's GREEN!!):
  6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've been using the same Tobias double gig bag (made by Levy's) for years now. It's getting pretty beat up and ratty looking, but it's 100% structurally functional. Super tough piece of gear.

Nothing much to photograph, but I like it when somebody looks at it and says "Man, that thing has seen some serious gigging!".

I leave all my nice hardshell at home.
  7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    No pix, my PC camera sux- but
    I got a '62 gig-bag from Artistic Music in NY for my '69 P-Bass- awesome vibe; leather like!
    Levy's bag for my Sterling, ?? for Rick Turner-

BTW- If y'all wanna see something "sick"
    (slang for cool, I think!) check out on your browser the site for LaFrance custom cases.
  8. I know, it's pretty amazing that sale they've got. I'll have to stock up on them. . .or not. Who actually buys these?
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those look like the case that MM has strapped on his back in Bass Player.
  10. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I don't have a digital camera, but I'm pretty sure you guys know what the standard SKB bass case looks like... black molded plastic, $90 at Guitar Center (ironic the case cost half as much as my bass did:rolleyes: )

11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Well: Let's see: I suppose if you're making the big $$ touring/recording, etc. or are say Bob Hurst from the "Tonite Show" or Marcus, for instance, 2K for a custom-made leather gig-bag would not be out of the question.
    For the rest of us "mere mortals":
    Ya know what?
    Like Walter Woods
    Warrior Basses
    Ferraris, etc. etc. etc......
    If you can do it without stealing or starving the kids,
    What the hey?!

BTW- They are awesome bags-I'll bet they last forever- I wouldn't mind one at all for my
    "priceless" '69 Precision.:cool:
  12. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I have a Kaces III gig bag I use with my Kingston 5 (sounds like a vocal group, doesn't it?). It's a nice case but I think the innards wreak havoc on my D-string. It ended up sounding dead on two consecutive string changes, so I went to an old Yamaha hardshell case.
  13. I have a Ritter Style3 Gigbag, that one with a funky metallic grey, black and white and a Manny's Music old standard gigbag that I bought with the Ibanez Ergodyne, now the Ergodyne uses the Ritter, very tech-look! Grey pewter bass with Black/Metallic Gigbag!

14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Kase III for my Kingston, and something resembling a bag for my Ibanez. The Kase III is a great case: it's durable, well contructed, and heavily padded.

When the whole job thing comes around (working 24/7 this summer...) I'm getting hardshell casses for all of my basses. (Which, should include a DP Custom sometime in the fall.)
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    This bag had to be custom because of the length of the bass, 51". Most basses are 49"

17. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Here's what happens when you put a 51" bass in a 49" bass bag.

18. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    man, your cases put mine to shame.

ok, think of the crappiest hard case you can buy from MF. now duct tape the corners, and put weezer stickers all over it. Then the stickers fall off. you rubber cement them back on, they fall off again. now you use super glue. Now we got a crappy case covered in gummy weezer stickers. now throw it off a cliff, and BLAM! you have my case, sorry i dont have any pics.

=w= Slicks =w=
  19. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've got a warwick "rockbag" gig bag that came with my thumb - it's getting really really ghetto (both the shoulder straps broke, i'm using a singular duffel bag strap :( ), an old MM hardshell that none of my basses fit into anymore (the moses neck extends the length of my sterling about 2 inches, but i'm saving the case for my next warwick) and my nice warwick hardshell for the SSII.

this warwick hardshell, by the way, had a phat phunktion sticker already on it when i pulled it out of it's shipping box!!! i had to do a quadruple-take before i believed it!!! it just confirmed that i was destined to have this bass.

any time my bass goes in the van/trailer for an out of town gig, it's in it's hardshell. if it's in my car with a small amount of gear or if i'm walking to class with it it's in the gig bag, but after putting the crack in it i feel VERY uneasy taking my warwick anywhere in the gig bag. that's why 9 times out of 10 i take my MM to class.
  20. Stock Rickenbacker non-vintage hardshell case, made by SKB, I believe. Great looking case, I think... but very little storage space. For some strange reason two people have asked me if I'm carrying an electric keyboard?!? Three people have picked up on the RIC logo while walking around and been impressed :)