Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We've struck a nerve!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Apparently, we've hurt his feelings!
    -------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE: Fodera
    Posted: : 02/28/2003
    Apparently, we've hurt his feelings!

Category: Basses
    Condition: Mint
    Asking Price: $1000

Well, it seems a few of the ladies on Talkbass have taken exception to me trying to get a good deal.

Fellas, go back to the bedroom and keep practising, and let the real players get on with doing what we do. Don't worry, there are plenty of coffee tables to go around for all of us, just accept the fact that you hobbyists have to cover the cost for us real players.

FULL NAME: Joey Jimbliggs
    PHONE:
    CITY, STATE: New York, New York
    EMAIL: j_jimbliggs@yahoo.com

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    How many members on T.B.? ......now if we all sent him an email.......hmmmm :spit:

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    What's the crime? I'd love to have a Fodera for a grand so I could sell it for thousands more. Lighten up ya Piranhas.

I'm sure your efforts in regulating price control on the used Fodera market will reap generous rewards. :confused: :rolleyes:

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Paleale the guy wants to buy a Fodera for $1000. Apparently he doesn't have the brains to make the distinction between 'for sale' and 'wanted'.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The guy whose bassgear ad I posted, is responding to us mocking him in my "Check out this ad" thread.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    So, wait, what's the story here?

If he tried to sell the bass using the classifieds, he had the right to ask any price he wanted.

Classifieds FAQ

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    You have to see his original ad to understand. He WANTS a Fodera Elite for a grand.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    BTW he (or anyone) has a right to want any item at a low price. However to ask for a Fodera Monarch at $1000 and expect no ridicule is ...erm ...nieve.

BTW if anyone wants to sell me a Roscoe 7 for $500 I'm game...

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    CS: As soon as I succeed in my quest for a $700 Sadowsky, I'll let you know where you can find your $500 Roscoe! :D

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I am very tempted to place a Fodera Wanted ad on bassgear, same type of bass that this joker is asking for, and offer $1001. :D

(But a bidding war such as that would create a lot of spam!)

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Not willing to pay for it, but will accept as little as $100k / yr. However, for that low amount, a car allowance, full medical, dental, and 401k must be included.

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    :D

Actually I have to pass on the Roscoe as I'm taking the $500 down to the Ford dealer for a new car.

13. Oh, this guy just gets funnier and funnier. I don't really ridicule him for it, but I do laugh.

I think I saw one on Leno: Wanted: $2000 car for about 500 bucks.

Geoff

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Who's he calling "ladies"?

I don't see the realtion between questioning his pricing and our gender.

Whatever.

:rolleyes:

15. Seems pretty sensitive. If I wanted a Fodera at a stupid good deal and thought I could get one, I'd be willing to subject myself to a bit of ridicule. Hey, I hope for his sake that he proves us all wrong.

16. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    All I can say is this:

You may find a Sadowsky for $1000, Fodera for $1000, etc. But it won't be on a site where people who dedicate their lives to studying the art of bass and bass related accessories. People willing to take that big of a loss... well, they either stole it, they inherited it from a dead relative ("pry it from my cold, dead hands"), or they are hooked on crack or all of the above. Those people aren't hanging around talkbass, bassgear, or any other site. They take the bass to Guitar Center, sell it there for $1000 and GC turns around and sells it for $4000.

If you want to find the "unreal" deals, you have to go to Garage sales, estate sales, pawn shops, newspaper ads. People who don't know what they have will be happy to take money for something they can't use. I hear of stories all the time where a spoiled rich kid goes off to college, leaving his Stingray or Modulus at home because he quit playing. The parents then sell it to get rid of it for $200 or something stupid like that.

Bear in mind, this isn't easy and it takes serious dedication to hit every garage sale, etc. You could spend years trying to find something and still come up empty handed. With ebay and the internet, those people are getting harder to find. But all it takes is one uninformed person at 1 garage sale to get something cool (51 p bass from old woman, dead husband, pissed off ex wife selling cheating husband's Alembic, whatever).

17. Man, I don't think I'd want the cheating husband's Alembic. Imagine the bad mojo in that thing. On the other hand, how cheap are we talking here?

18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I don't care about Mojo, Karma, whatever... if Vic Wooten's wife gets really mad and sells his Yin Yang for $100, I'll take it!!!

I'm a poor bassist! If these people can afford a wife and a mistress, they can sure as heck afford a new bass!!! FORGET BAD MOJO!

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    :D :D

20. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    As is said in your "Check out this ad" thread, if this guy was a real bass player he could afford a Fodera!