Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WFBA - Waiting for basses anonymous. Slight return.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MKS, Jan 20, 2003.

1. A long time ago in a thread far, far away I commented that I was waiting for my GMC custom 6 string bass to be built. Here's the latest shot.
    [​IMG]

I know it's a little minimalist, but she'll look much more like a real bass with strings on. ;)

I'm also waiting for this puppy. Recently purchased and waiting somewhere in the USA to be picked up and hand delivered back to me by a friendly person who knows how to deal with getting geetars onto airplanes. (Wish me luck!)

[​IMG]

:Looks at watch...:

2. Nice Conklin. You can pass time by counting the strings on it. ;)

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Congrats on the Conk!! Im trying to find myself a 7 fretless!!!

4. Well here we are again, only this time 6 months on. Gareth (Mr. GMC) has had some other more important family issues to deal with recently, so the progress on my bass has been slow, but recently we've got back on track. Check it out!

Nice flamed Ovangkol on the back, Cocobolo on the front. The cut on the lower half is for the control cavity cover (a la Pedulla). The wood has lifted slightly making it look bigger than it really is.

The top will be full face, covering the neck.

The fingerboard is the darkest, blackest ebony I've ever seen. BLACK! BLACKER THAN BLACK! NONE MORE BLACK! ("It's like the night sky without the stars..")

Whoopee, it's getting closer!
    BTW: WFBA = Waiting for basses anonymous

EDIT: Pics below since the website is off-line at present.

5. While I'm at it, here are pictures of my Conklin Groove Tools GT-7.

6. And another...

7. Last one for now...

8. Gareth's website is being a bit tempramental so here are the pics of my GMC custom bass as attachments:

The cocobolo top

9. And the ovangkol

10. WFBA? Where do I sign up? I definately need to be a member of that one! :)

Nice woods. It should turn out beautifully, I think, if Gareth's other basses are any indication.

Mike

11. Typical WFBA meeting:

:Smiles, shakes hands:
    "Hi, my name is Mike. I've been waiting for a bass now for over 18 months."
    :Clapping:
    "The hardest part is when other people post pictures of their new basses at Talkbass. One time I just snapped and went out and buy a new bass off the shelf. This Conklin GT7..."

:eek:

12. WFBA - Man , I hear ya !!! Waiting on my first "true" custom - a sixer being built by Clifford Roi Basses. Killer spalted zebrawood top , African Mahogany core,5 piece wenge/purpleheart neck,Morado fingerboard. If you've never heard of these basses , they are incredible. He even makes his own pickups,preamps, and trussrods! Should be done in November....OUCH !!!

13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'm waiting to....:bawl: . I want my new baby :eek: *drool* Though its best to remember in times of impatience the ancient chinese proverb-"He who rushes builder, in long run get kindling in return":p

14. You've got it exactly. :D It shouldn't be much longer now. No, really...

Mike