1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wha??? Bass Banjo.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I just borrowed Primus - Tales from the Punchbowl today because Les is one of my favorite bassists. In the booklet it listed the instruments the members use and it says les uses a bass banjo (I'm pretty sure its on the song De Anza Jig). Whats a bass banjo? I have never heard of them before and I am very curious.

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    There was a feature article on the last page in Bass Player Mag a few months back (sorry, don't remember which month) on a "one of a kind" instrument dubbed "Banjozilla" made by some luthier. It was a huge "stand up" 4 string banjo.

3. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
  4. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    That shouldn't say smaller it should it stronger.

5. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    thanks you guys!!!!! its good to know i have a whole family of great bassists to answer questions when needed. :D

6. I have seen two types. One has a neck like a regular electric bass, but a standard banjo type body. They sell them at a store called Lark In the Morning in San Francisco, CA, USA. I thought they would sound better than they did. It was somewhere between a thunk and a clink, if that says anything.
    The other type I have seen (on ebay) is of the standup variety. It had a regular standup bass neck, but the body was a huge banjo drum. I've never played one of those.
    I don't know which kind Les uses.

Kenan

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I saw a picture on one of these threads awhile back that had a pic of victor wooten playing the bass banjo... It looked monstrous..

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The green one??? I forgot about that one:eek:

9. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    Les plays one more with a standard bass type body. He used it on there videoplasty home movie to record a track on tom waits newest album. In concert though he just uses his NS electric upright to play de anza jig.:D :oops:

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey