Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wha....what?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 31, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ROCKBASS "Streamer CZ" 4 String (A-A, MEC P-J) $1,799
    Maple (neck-through) 5 String (A-A, MEC J-J) $2,099
    Maple neck-through body, maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard, RockBass bridge, 2-band MEC electronics, MEC "gold" active pickups, chrome hardware, gloss finish.

from the dana b goods rockbass pricelist.

jason

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Couldn't have said it better myself. :confused:

3. hmm, maybe they're trying to compete with the Czech Spectors and other basses in that price range.

I dunno.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    If current warwick list/actual prices are any indication, I'd say that the Streamer CZ should go for US$1100-1200, and the neck thru for US$1300-1400. Similar to Thumb b/o pricing.

The list wound indicate that this is the Rockbass flagship product. Probably won't be their major money spinner.

Went down to our local music store. A Streamer LX4 goes for S$1850, which is US$1000 at the current exchange rate. Unless they're very confident of the Rockbass line, I don't see how such pricing can compete with Warwick prices in Asia.

I'll post again if I see any of the new basses around here.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sorry, i didn't edit the parsing in that post very well. both the 4 string and the 5 string are neck thru.

still a surprise though. they should end up costing about what the old german streamer standards cost.

jason

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    They're certainly not shooting for the OLP market are they?

Which I think is a good thing. :D

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is very surprising. You can get a used Thumb bolt on for about what those will retail for. I don't see that particular bass being a big hit, unless it is more like a Streamer Stage I in quality and tone.

8. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    Actually this starts to make sense. I didn't realize that those basses are neck thrus. That'll be a good $600 cheaper than the Warwick neck-thrus which start around $1700-1800 for the thumb n/t.

In effect, it could be Warwick's own version of Fender's MIJ basses. If the fit and finish is at least of a comparable standard to the Stage Is, it could work.

The Streamer Standard and Corvette versions range from US$499 to US$999 list. Which realistically means you could deduct 1/3 off it for its actual street price.

I think the gloss finish looks to be an attempt to distinguish the line from the usual oil finish Warwicks. A pity as it loses that distnictive Warwick look.

Opinions?

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    They are likely to hike up the price on the Warwick brands and use the Rockbass line for the monster retailers, catalog, internet market.

Sure beats cheapening the overall image of Warwicks to get into a different price level.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    maybe they'll go back to all handmade for the neck thru's....and start using wenge in necks again!

hey i can dream right?!

jason

11. Looks like they're shooting for Skyline comparisons, not Squires. Who knows, maybe they'll be that good.

12. Oh yeah, W5S, where did you find that list?

13. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL