1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whaaaat?? U R gonna use yr Old '70's tube amp instead of the (supplied) Ampeg SVT350

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rodl2005, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Just thought I'd share this 'un w/ U..... ( w/ = with )
    Few yrs ago our band was playing at this states premier Summer Festival-on the main stage etc etc.... We were told -"backline gear all supplied" usually meaning a Fender Twin type Guitar amp, decent Keys amp, & Decent Bass amp.
    (Now I'm a Valve/tube guy from waaaaay back-started w/ my 1st amp an ol' (Australian)Vase Bassman 120-120w 4 x 6L6's...continues to this day-tho I have tried many S.S. amps & hybrids & do Like 'em!)
    Anyway..... Got there to find an Ampeg 8x10"(YAY I'd never-In my memory anyways- used one B4!!!) W/ an SVT on top!!!! Teriffic- I thought!!! :D Upon Closer inspection I noticed no 'standby' switch, so I look round back of amp- NO TUBES- :eek: just a S.S.( solid state) amp- :rollno: look at front says SVT350H- Now this was in about 2001, I s'pose & I hadn't heard of this model!! But I was willing to give it a go. Set it up at a volume I'd be OK at for when the band starts....:meh:.........
    ( A problem I find I have w/ all s.s. amps is:- set at volume I'd normally use, then when band starts up I have to turn up the amps volume about twice as much. Now I dont have thbis problem w/ all tube amps).
    ..........After using it for the 1st set(of 3 sets) I decide to go get my old (Aus made) Eminar-1976 ALL TUBE 200w-6 x KT77's - amp & take the Ampeg S.S. amp off the 'frij'( 8 x 10" ampeg 810E)!!!! NOW you should've seen the looks & heard the comments I got-some from the 'younger' members of our band even!!!-"You're gonna use your Eminar instead of an Ampeg????????????"
    My reply-"yep sure am"- "I like the sound of MY amp & also It's full of tubes & the Ampeg aint!!!"
    Now I'd NEVER played my amp thru an AMPEG 810E &-rightly too- I thought it'd sound GREAT!!! IT DID!!!!!:hyper:
    My old 1976 Eminar-P.A. head-sounds pretty crappy as a P.A. head, but great as a bass amp!!!- sounded FANTASTIC thru the Ampeg 810E & EVERYONE said how great the bass sounded- especially the ones who'd been so shocked I was using my amp instead of the 'hallowed' Ampeg! This is just ONE of my many stories of why I like ALL VALVE amps more than S.S. amps- I did own a cuppla (couple of) Ampeg S.S.'s & Hybrids-SVT3PRO, but after trying MANY more S.S. amps-Eden, GK... I went & got meself ( myself ) a Fender Bassman 300PRO-6x6550's & I'm in MY VERSION of bass heaven.
    Respect to all who DO like S.S. amps etc... each to their own, But I'll take tubes anyday!!!!
    Cheers,
    Rod.

2. Spell Check would help. I can hardley understand half of your post. :meh:

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I understood it. Great story

4. I unnustan it 2!!! But seriously- I'll edit it now- sorry was in a hurry- not s'posed 2 be on net for "fun" at work......

5. BloodTypeBlue

BloodTypeBlue

Feb 15, 2006
    Baltimore
    You know, I used to think the same way about valves vs. none, until I wound up with a '60s Sunn that weight a ton (to this 5'8" 103lbs dude, anyway...) and didn't even work half the time. In fact, that amp frustrated me so much that I eventually decided that no amount of vintage valve tone was going to make up for lack of plug-and-playability. (I was getting more into modern tones anyway...) I now play a GK 800RB. I still love tube tones, I just can't deal with them...:smug: :bag:

6. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    unnerstand.
    i use gk combos most of the time...i don't have to fill a stadium...but, when it's time to make some air move, out comes my acoustic 370.
    i've gotten nuthin' but positive comments from younger players, and for good reason...it sounds wicked pissah!
    :D

7. :D

8. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    nice nickelseye

9. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    psssst... it's "hardly"

:D:D

10. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Can I ask a noob question? What the hell are tube amps? Feel free to flame, but at least answer the question if you do flame.

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    An amp utilizing vacuum tube technology, and no transistors or integrated circuits . . . . .

Now you can come out from under your rock! :rollno: :rollno: :rollno: :rollno:

- Tim

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

.......................;)

13. bmoney

bmoney

Oct 8, 2006
    Freehold NJ
    Didn't even read your post yet, but I love how you wrote W/ then explained that it meant With, instead of just typing with...

Thought that was comical...

Brendan

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    AND it's understand. :smug: Unless you text messaged this in, then some of your craziness is acceptable. :p