Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whadaya think of this band name?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dwynsen, Mar 16, 2001.

1. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Syzygy. Pronounced siz'-uh-jee. (When the sun, the moon, and the Earth line up perfectly, the imaginary line that runs thru the center of each is called 'the line of syzygy.' Also, the word means 'versification' i.e., to add verses to something. What do you think?

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Not bad. But be warned, you'll confuse a lot of people.

I used to be in a band called Zenvieto, which meant (I think - I didn't come up with it) "the process of attaining a state of total calm and contentment". When I told people what my band was called, I mostly got blank looks and had to explain it carefully. Whatever else you say about names like Korn, at least people actually remember and understand them... :rolleyes:

3. i don't know man. it's unique, but think about it. if somebody says to his friend "hey man, this band called syzygy is really good" the friend won't know how to spell the name of anything, so if he sees it on a flier or something it won't click. stick to familiar words.

maybe that would be a good name for an album or a song.

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    It sucks. No one can pronounce it or remember it. And no one but you cares what it means.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Brewer just suggested a reality check. I may have worded it a little differently but what he says is very true. I agree with him completely.

Pkr2

6. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Yikes. OK, I give up. You guys are brutal. I asked for opinions and that's what I got. Thanks for being frank.

7. but hey, buck up. next time you play hangman, you'll have a word that NOBODY will figure out. :D

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    And how many points will it be worth on Scrabble? :D

9. It just doesn't have a "ring" to it, like the name "Tell"! :rolleyes: :)

10. Alright, its odd and well thought up, but its like those metal bands who write their names in that whack ass writing that no-one understands, and you have to read the copyright law at the bottom to find out who it is...."All works are copyright of...."

Put it aside and if nothing better comes up, use it. I can't even remember how to spell it... lemme check again.. :p, try for something catchy that people will remember. Like my band is called Random Chaos. hehe random acts of random violence... like ***! but it still sounds cool.

Merls

Either that or Manly Shiver(oh u know what it means) or Lenny's Dad.....

11. or "Fix" :D

12. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks everyone. You've given us a lot to think about.

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    what kinda band are yas? like, i've always thought the name "Burnscar" would be an ace name fer a metal band .. (and don't steal it coz i'm thinking of changing the name of our band to it !! please !! :()
    btw we're called "Clear Air Turbulence" ..

no, we have no idea what it means either.

14. I've always like "The Black Beyond Black", but you can't have it cause its one of bands songs now. lol

merls

15. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Syzygy is a blues band with a rock and jazz edge. It's a different sound and kinda hard to describe. Man, think of Janis Joplin or Tina Turner singing over top the Moody Blues with a SRV-type guitarist. It's just totally different $hit, man. None of us know exactly how it happened, it just did. It seems to be 'who we are'. I can't do any better than that.

16. Problem with "Syzygy" is folks wonder how to pronounce it (even before they wonder what it is--people don't mind asking others what a word means, but they sure don't want to sound stupid mispronouncing it). I mean, there are three main ways to pronounce a "y," and there are three of those. So the main thing is to keep a name pronounceable, or at least give 'em a name everyone <i>thinks</i> they can pronounce; I don't care if you call it "Gummint Mule," you feel comfortable mentioning it to your friends. But stuff like a squiggle representing "the artist formerly known as Prince" won't sell near as many records as plain ol' "Prince." Sure, "Prince" sounds stupid, but stupid didn't seem to matter. Being pronounceable does. Outrageous adds zest. "Hole" is a great name for a female band. Memorable names are good. "Yes" is a memorable name, as ordinary as the word is. Sometimes names that contrive to elicit a question can work, like "T.S.O.P." (the question being, of course, "What the hell does that stand for?"--with an answer, "The Sound of Philadelphia," that is memorable enough to give people confidence and enjoyment in explaining it to others). People's names are good if they're pronounceable. Names that make people think of your band's style are good if you band has a dedicated style. And (so the wisdom goes) alliteration is good, and three syllables work better than any other count. But at the dead bare minimum, keep it pronounceable. And these days, I'd say also--why not see if it easily makes up into an unused dot-com domain name? By that, I mean, see if it needs a hyphen to look the way it's pronounced. And forget it if it does; at least make sure two words aren't jammed together where the first ends with a vowel and the second starts with a vowel, or where the joining of the words forms new unintended words in the middle, etc.--get your friends to beat it up, particularly non-musicians because we musicians tend to use musical terms nobody ever heard of and we think it's clever. There's a good example up there of unintended meanings. I see someone suggested Burnscar. Ask your mother and she might ask "Does that mean an automobile belonging to someone named Burns?"

17. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    well .. well .. like .. ! i thought it was cool .. :(

and .. and "kurosawa" sounds like an infectious Japanese genital disease .. so ner !

18. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    akira kurosawa was probably the greatest Japanese film director. Not a bad name in my book.

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    it's still a potentially lethal form of fungi that collects on the testicles in MY book, chubby oinker ! ;p

20. Really? So thats what it is! hmmm thanx for clearing that up? Any Cure? They aint gonna shoot me are they, its not like Foot and Mouth disease i hope. lol

Hand and Balls disease....hehehehehe that'll teach ya! and send you blind! :p

Merls