Whadda you think of this 'metrosexualism'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The Word Spy defines it "(met.roh.SEK.shoo.ul) n. An urban male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle." - or by other definition by Alexa Hackbarths column in Washington Post "..is a straight man who styles his hair using three different products (and actually calls them "products"), loves clothes and the very act of shopping for them, and describes himself as sensitive and romantic. In other words, he is a man who seems stereotypically gay except when it comes to sexual orientation. "

It seems to be a coming trend, especially as cosmetic brands enforce it with huge ad campaigns - it's been that men are their target group of the future.

Typical traits seem to be using more consider(and cash) when buying clothes, furniture et cetera, and even putting some cash down to cosmetic products. I personally have been troubled this issue, I seem to be developing a "decent taste" when it comes to clothes, and just yesterday I found myself buying some moisturizer for my face with the excuse of "needing some care for my easily burning skin as the summer is approaching" :oops:

I consider it's ok, as far as it doesn't go to extremes, though.

So whadda 'bout you fellows, anyone noticed similarities emerging?

And what do our TB ladies think of it? :confused:
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think the term "metrosexual" was just something dreamed up in a brainstorming session at Mabeline.

It's amazing how much this has caught on, but I don't think it's going to change the vast majority of guys. Most guys aren't going to buy into it and stop wearing Old Spice, but the small percentage that do are going to make alot of money for somebody somewhere.

Of course, if all this helps to make pleated pants go away, then it can't be that bad.
  3. "I am the Antipop, I'll run against the grain till the day I drop"

That's my view on it. With a little help from Mr. Claypool.
  4. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I am the complete opposite of a metrosexual I guess :)
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Not that I really care but I was told a couple of weeks ago that this word and reference was already "out."

brad cook
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like having nice clothes, and I don't mind shopping for them. But I don't wear cosmetics. I wear my old spice, dirty tennis shoes, and love it.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i only wear DK jeans.
  8. if it turns yer crank, fill yer boots :p :D
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  10. Pfffffff...

It's kind of weird that in todays society everyone try to find a name for everything and put borders around everything.

I mean if a guy likes to take care of his appearence(sp?) He's not gay or metrosexual he's just that way.

If a guy don't care what he looks like it doesn't make him more a man than the other.

I mean there's nothing to think about that... no need to judge
    it's just different folk different strokes.

it's my humble oppinion of course :p
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It's a trend like any other, and this one is oh-dubba-you-tee like Shout detergent.

Current trend about the be played out: 80's ugly

Trend I predict next: Resurgence of the Urban Cowboy/Hick chic.

I have spoken.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a Metallica listening flannel shirt kind of guy when i am not in black so spending all that money on ones hair and clothes is really not my thing.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to care a good deal about my hair. Clothes i dont really care. I wear plain white or black russel t-shirts and corderoys or shorts. Now my hair is a bit of an afro and they are hard to make look pretty so i just get it osmewhat in shape in leave it.
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

HAHAHAHA!!! What a girly man!

Brut is where its at. Just listen to that name.... BRUT.

Yeah well I think its rediculous. It has nothing to do with sexual preference so why try to make it sound like it does?

In any case, its just a big marketing scheme to get more cosmetics out there.

I was about to make a political joke but dammit this isnt the lounge.

Well anyways, its not garbage to do that stuff, but its garbage to exploit it and make it into a big marketing thing.

Oh, and the urban cowboy thing already came back.

Go into a Holister or Abercrombie and Fitch and you'll see cowboy style shirts, faded jeans, and cowboy hats everywhere.

Personally, I like my urban lumber jack look.

15. There was a great episode of South Park concerning this subject, it was hilarious.
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    goth boys have been doing that for years :meh:
  17. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    um....., that could be ruralsexual, if you leave out the urban.
  18. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    efemmination of the masculine...
    I am a trunk, and I dont want to be carved!!

and then they talk about male extinction, y chromosome getting smaller... Blah.
  19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's got to be the oddest post I've ever seen on TB. Wow. Just wow.

I think I like it, but I'm not sure. I think it just might be art.
  20. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

I prefer to splash on a little Hai Karate. That's a manly scent. ;)