Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whaddya think about how the BCS has shaken out this year?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Dec 6, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think the BCS system has definite problems but this thread is about how things ended up this season.

I'm not particularly pissed that Auburn isn't in the championship game because to me it's a toss-up between them, USC and OU (although they DID go through the SEC undefeated which is pretty freakin' impressive). The thing that sucks though is how the other bowl games worked out. Auburn vs. Va. Tech should be Auburn vs. U. of Tex. or Cal. and it's likewise ridiculous that UT is playing Michigan and Utah is playing Pitt. That's just stupid. There may be upsets in those games...whatever...but it shouldn't be like it is.

brad cook

2. Until there's a playoff, the Division I "national championship" is a joke. With three undefeated teams, they could play one extra game this year and get it right. Have a #1 versus #4, #2 versus #3 playoff, with the winners meeting for the title.
    I'm so tired of the college presidents' excuses for opposing a playoff. The academic argument is a joke, especially when you consider that all the NCAA's lower divisions have football playoffs.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    BCS is BS. Let there be playoffs and the best team win!

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That is the only way to determine a national champ.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I agree Dave, top 4 duke it out. But then the Bowl Bucks go away. Hmmmmm.....

Mike

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I agree. Playoffs the only way to go. Less cash for those involved though.

I too am content with the way things worked out though. USC has shown their power since last season---the "split" national championship they won last year along with the undefeated season this year shows that they deserved to be there last year and OU, in fact, did not. However, OU's dominance once again this year shows that they too deserve to be there. Auburn has had some convincing wins, but not convincing enough to overtake two established power teams.

There are entirely too many variables in the whole situation. If entrance into the playoffs is determined by record, Boise State and Navy deserve to be there instead of Texas.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's just the other bowls that are ridiculous...

Utah vs. #19 Pitt?!! How the heck does #19 Pitt end up in a BCS bowl?! Pittsburgh, Va. Tech and Michigan shouldn't even be in conversations about BCS bowl games much less playing in them.

For the record I agree with everyone that a playoff is the only legitimate way to reach a champion but like I said, I was just curious to know what everyone thought about how the bowl games panned out aside from that obvious fact.

brad cook

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I too think that it's a travesty that Pitt is in a bowl. However, the only way a playoff system could truly work is to send the top team from each conference, and sadly, Pitt won their conference. The BCS tries to do too much with too little, in that it tries to incorporate all the "good ideas" that people have into a grand total of 4 games: They try to take the winner of certain conferences and the teams with the best records and throw them together. Technically, Texas should not be in a BCS bowl at all, simply because they failed to win their conference. They are, however, one of the best teams in the nation, so I suppose to NOT let them in would be as big a travesty as the 8-3 Pitt getting into a BCS bowl.

9. The BCS is a joke right now and needs to be reworked entirely. Like everyone said, Pitt playing is downright stupid, though I do think Va. Tech is a legitimate bowl team because of some of the teams they had to go through. IMO Texas deserve's its BCS spot, but they should be playing Cal, not Michigan.

Did you know that when Notre Dame has at least a 9-2 season again, they're guranteed by contract a BCS game?

Meanwhile undefeated Utah and Boise St. gets left in the dust.

But in the end, I believe even if there were a playoff system, it would be down to USC and Oklahoma anyways....they're the best teams in the nation.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    No offense to either Utah or Boise St., but they are along the same lines as UNT (Univ. of North Texas) playing in a bowl. They "won" the Sunbelt Conference, yet they were annihilated by a 3-8 team--Baylor. Utah and Boise St., while undefeated, are nowhere near BCS-bowl material.