Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whaddya think? Geddy Lee Users!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Mar 17, 2006.

1. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I have major gas for a geddy lee jazz, but, I've also been gas'ing to pimp my p (pups, pots, shielding, vintage tuners). Which one should I do? This would be in the fall around August-September. By then I'll be able to afford to do both I think, but I prefer to stick to one good bass since I know one would get more play time over the other and the money spent on the lesser played bass would seem wasted. I know it depends on my preferences, but I'd like to get some opinions. If I get a new bass, I can try before I buy, whereas my p would be modded before i get to try the modded version. Right now, I don't like the tone coming from the aftermarket pups in my p, and I'm worried even after a new set, I still won't like it, but the p has the best neck I've ever felt (this could change, but right now thats where it stands). Whaddya think?

P.s. Geddy users please post!!

Thanks

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So, you love the way your Precision feels, but don't like the tone? Have you ever heard a Precision in which you *do* like the tone? If so, I would pursue getting the right pickup for your Precision. If not, I'd look at the Geddy - it is a very nice instrument for an unbelievable price. I personally would rather have the modern "C" neck than the thin "C" the Geddy has. I've been playing a MIM Precision for the last couple of years, and I am really starting to love passive Jazz basses.

3. My main bass is my Geddy and I love everything about it except the neck (I know I'm definitely in the minority here) and the fact that it is a Jazz shaped body (I've always loved P bass bodies and J bass pups)....it has great tone (I love the 70s pickup spacing and the sound of good vintage single coil jazz pickups)!

Loving my Geddy like I do...here's what I ideally want:

- A neck like on a Precision Deluxe (a regular jazz bass neck for the most part, they just feel different to me)
    - An Alder Precision body (preferably white with a tort or black pearl pickguard)...I like the feel of a Precision body against me more than a bulkier Jazz body.
    - 2 jazz pickups in the 70s configuration (like on the Geddy Lee with the bridge pickup closer to the bridge than on a 60s jazz)
    - A BAII bridge (like on the Geddy)

Food for thought. :)

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes, I love the Geddy but after some time with it now, I guess I'm in your minority - the neck is too thin for me and when I switch to it from something like my Precision or Ric, I really notice it being more difficult for me to play. I don't know that I need a Precision neck, just a fatter jazz neck would do it for me I think. I don't know if Fender has this offering or not, but I wish they had a regular non-signature series of CIJ J and P basses - great quality and a great price.

5. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I must admit that i loved my Geddy for a long time... But after a while the neck became to thin and the finish to hard, and also i found it way to easy to get fretbuzz out of it, even with flatwounds.(A problem ive never had with my Status Graphite Eclipse, or, So far, with the bass that replaced the geddy, an Ibanez Roadster RS900.)

www.guitarjapan.com
    www.ishibashi-music.com

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "So, you love the way your Precision feels, but don't like the tone? Have you ever heard a Precision in which you *do* like the tone? If so, I would pursue getting the right pickup for your Precision. If not, I'd look at the Geddy - it is a very nice instrument for an unbelievable price. I personally would rather have the modern "C" neck than the thin "C" the Geddy has. I've been playing a MIM Precision for the last couple of years, and I am really starting to love passive Jazz basses."

+ 1....very good advice in my opinion. The Fender P neck and GL Jazz neck are two different animals indeed. I love my Geddy but truth be known I wish the neck was slightly more rounded and less flat. You really have to try out the Geddy several times and see how you like or dislike it. Value for money though it is very very hard to beat.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Now it says you already have a Seymour pickup in yr MIM P but the tone is still not working for you? You haven't made reference to whether you prefer the P neck feel or super slim Geddy Jazz neck feel. I'm going to trust that you thoroughly dig the Geddy in its entirety. If this is indeed the case, I say lose the MIM P. As it is, you already have an OLP SR as a back up. So you only need one quality main bass. If yr happy with the way the Geddy is stock; then why fuss over that P? Sell it and get yr Geddy. You'll likely be happier with that shinny new badass looking axe than the same old MIM P with expensive new guts.

BTW, I had no idea so many people were not into the Geddy neck! Wow, I love that neck! I think that's the best feature of the bass. The only negative thing I've ever heard is that the tuners can be problematic. Well, to each their own. I think the axe is awesome.

r

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    It is an awesome axe for certain. I think most of us feel like there is something wrong with us that we think the neck is too thin, but like you said "to each his own". It doesn't surprise me that this kind of info starts to trickle out after everybody has owned one for a few months. If I own a bass I would stay away from at a gig because of *anything* - it's going. The great thing I learned from this, is that I LOVE passive Jazz basses, and with the Geddy you've experienced very high quality - I like the hard maple fretboard - everything about the instrument is superb - but I know I'd be happier with a "Geddy" quality Jazz, but with a standard "C" neck, and honestly - loose the badass bridge to gain more bottom end. For me, the Sadowsky Metro might be the one.

Skel

9. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    First off, thanks for all the quick replies, I appreciate it. The only other p bass I played was a mike dirnt (twice and two different basses). One sounded great, really great, and the other was a little on the thin side, kinda like how an active bass sounds to me. A theory I've always had in the back of my mind is that since I pick near the bridge, a bridge pup works best for me, as on my olp, or a jazz for that matter. When I bought my p, i kinda wished I would've went with the jazz, but I had already talked down the price and the jazz was almost $50 more. Also, I don't mind a regular jazz neck, I've played an MIA jazz a few times and found it comfortable. Is the geddy neck THAT much thinner? I need to get to my music store soon to try it, I've been assuming It's about the same as a regular jazz neck. I do think its about time for a new bass, I've had my p for 3.5 years and even my girlfriend agrees its time for something new, and she HATES when i spend money, especially on bass stuff. Hmmm....maybe I'll go try the geddy today! Thanks again, I know this one may have been just a rant, but I wanna make the right decision.

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Definitely try the Geddy out first! It’s a great bass, but the neck is different from a conventional Jazz found on MIM, AIM, and even CIJ. As you've heard on this thread alone, it’s a neck not suited to everybody's taste including Jazz bass lovers. In fact, unless yr in the middle of no where and do not have access to a GC or decent guitar shop, I'd avoid ordering a Fender from Musician’s Friend or the like. MF is okay, I'm not knocking them, and it’s the damn Fenders! They're too inconsistent; one is brilliant, the next is crap. Ordering without trying them out seems to be luck of the draw. I will say generally the CIJs like the Geddy tend to fair well in the consistency department though as I mentioned, there has been some grumbling about the tuners.

Sounds like you want a Jazz, and the Geddy is an excellent Jazz bass. But that neck is unique. Definitely try before you buy!

r

11. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    As I said in my last post, I was gonna try and head out to the music store, and I did. It was crowded since it was like customer appreciation day or something, but I got a good half hour in on the Geddy Lee, and I must say, WOW! You guys weren't kidding when you said growl!! As for the neck, it's not AS comfortable as my p, but definately manageable (that's an understatement), this was while sitting, and I find it hard to play sitting. My only beef was the action (too high), but thats just how the music store sets em up before they go on the wall, they try to get a middle-of-the-road action, but thats too high for me, but it still played well for that half hour. The finish was FLAWLESS, mostly due to the fact they ask you to take your jacket off so the zipper doesn't scratch the finish, and I love that gloss finish on the neck, much smoother than my p, and that p neck is very smooth. I'm not sure if i saw the problem with the tuners, they felt a little hard to turn and it seemed like i had to trun them more than normal to get a pitch change (only about another 1/3 of a turn or so.) I've never felt "vintage" tuners before so i can't compare, but they seem alright to me. I kinda saw the problem about lack of low end, it seemed more like lack of mids to me, but I was playing on an swr, and I'm not too crazy about those anyway, definatley fixable on a better amp. Overall, I give a 9 out of 10, definatley going to be mine in the future.

Thanks for your feedback.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Good luck! So what will you do about yr MIM P? Trade it in to shave off some bucks off the Geddy? Maybe lose the OLP instead and keep the P as a back up?

r

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Keep the P. I'm a jazz guy now and I regret not having a P in the stable. There are just some times where EVERYONE needs a P-style bass.

14. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Well, the p will probably go on the wall, because there many memories associated with the bass, plus it was my first fender. I'm happy with my OLP so I'll probably keep that for my drop-d (DADg) bass. I can't wait until I can go buy it, I'll probably try the Jag bass beofre I make the final decision, since that was MY idea and fender stole it (although mine had a p/j combo and only 2 vol. knobs, no switches), but I am not sure if it's worth the same as the geddy since I'll probably never use the active option. Anyways, I digress, I'm just a little worried the geddy isn't beefy enough, but we'll see.