1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wham Damn!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Who played bass for Wham? Just saw the video to Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, and while I think it's one of the funniest videos still being played, the bass is freaking smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never noticed it before. Uhh... never listened to Wham before. Who is that?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Deon Estus?

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wham had some great basslines. Club Tropicana has a great bassline. Similarly, Faith by George Michael was also excellent.

4. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    The bassist is indeed, Deon Estus. If there's one guy here who is underrated, he qualifies.

Pendulous likes this.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Deon lives and gigs out here, great player!

6. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    Joe, you so craaaaaaaaaaaaazy

:smug:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

My god, the 80s were a disgusting time to be alive!!!! Haha, honestly, Huey Lewis nailed it, "It's hip to be square." It seems the thing was to be as ungodly cheesy as possible. That said, CHOOSE LIFE!!!!!

Great bassifying.

8. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England
    when i was at the institute (music college in london) they told me pino palladino played on wake me up b4 u go go!

9. he's a great player - loved his solo album too, very tasteful grooves on "Heaven Help Me".....totally under-rated...he needs his own website...those were some sick lines under the cheesy songs....

Pendulous likes this.
  10. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    Great player!

If you can get hold of the original "I'm your man" pay a listen there is a smoking hot bass solo in that tune that brings a huge smile to my face everytime I listen to it. :)

11. KBarker

KBarker

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto
    +1000 to that....great player!

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm seeing the name Dean Estes in the credits. Maybe a typo or different guy?

13. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Typo - Deon Estus was with George Michael for years, and even had his own minor hit way back when. I could never find out if Deon's playing with George on his current tour that's out right now. People who have seen that show have told me that a guy with long dreadlocks was holding down the bass.

He's originally from Detroit and was supposed to have studied with Jamerson at some point :eek:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HtQTSYzuu9g

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QeSKdSKrmrA&feature=related

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have that on vinyl too. When I first met Deon I told him I had that album, he seemed surprised somebody even knew about the LP.

16. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Deon's great. Loved his work on George Michael's "Listen Without Predjudice, Vol. 1" album.

Here he is sneaking in some tasty fills (on his Status) w/ George Michael & Elton John:

17. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Yeah, Joe... me neither. ;)

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice! Very tasty playing. I dig!

19. I love the videos - thanks for the links! Deon is a monster, and his playing with George Michael is an absolute benchmark of a tasteful, musical approach to pop music. I still remember learning the Gm fill coming out of the chorus in "Careless Whisper." :D

20. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Anybody have any idea where I can check out some of the stuff Deon did with a group called Brainstorm? IIRC, it's a soul/disco group that was out years before Wham! came around.