1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wham - everything she wants

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by questhe, Jul 31, 2007.

1. questhe

questhe

Jul 17, 2007
    mesa, az
    This is a tune with a great sounding bass and nice bass line. I wonder why it did not turn up on a search? This is the kind of tone and bassline I would really enjoy playing.

In case you don't know exactly, here is the chorus words:

[FONT=&quot]Somebody tell me
    (wonÂ’t you tell me)
    Why I work so hard for you
    (to give you money, work to give you money)

[/FONT]So, what do you all think of this song? Have you covered it? Did it get people dancing?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wham songs have great basslines. Listen to Club Tropicana and Edge of Heaven, awesome jazz bass tone! Faith is my favourite GM number to cover though!

3. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    i dug this old thread up hoping to find info on how one might cop that synth bass tone.... envelope filter? octave pedal & envelope filter?

yeah, though, great bass across the board on Wham records and what i know of GM's solo stuff. lots of great bass lines by Deon Estus and even a few nice tracks w/ GM credited on bass (Freedom '90 especially).

4. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I agree! Deon is a badass! Check out my YouTube page. I play to an older Wham cover.

5. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    i'll check you out when i'm not on dial up.... :D haha

i don't know much about deon estus except he sounds killer on those old tracks... even playing simple stuff he kills, like Careless Whisper, One More Try, Faith, etc.....

but back to topic, i assume it's keyboard bass on Everything She Wants, but i don't know. but i LOVE that tone! i tried a Micro Q for just a minute the other day and couldn't really find what i was after, but really needed more time to work w/ it....

6. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I would say that it's keyboard bass for sure. I never tried to copy the tone but I am thinking some of the Line 6 stuff would get you pretty close. Try slapping it! It's pretty fun and not that hard.

Hmmm...that would be a great YouTube video...

7. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    i wonder if the Behringer BSY600 can pull off something in the ball park of the synth bass tone on "Everything She Wants". anyone know about that?

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I covered this tune in the '80s when it was a hit...I used an EB w/ no f/x & I don't recall any complaints from the 100s of dancers that moved to this whenever we played it.

;)

"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" is an even better example of Deon Estus' Wham! output.

9. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Deon! Extra funky bassist!

I really like that song to this day. It's definitely a synth playing that bassline. If possible, go down to your local GC (if you have one) and try out all the synth bass pedals. You might find that sound.

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Let the flaming begin! ...oh, looks like it already has. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :hyper:

11. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    flames? everyone's being pretty nice here :) ... JimK has a good point, a groove is a groove, FX or not.... and his point is germane to the OP's questions...

but since i've dug up this thread i'm more specifically focused on how to cop that synth bass tone, and i think ERIC31 had the right idea... trial and error at the local GC w/ synth pedals.... we'll see.......

12. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    How about this idea?

Get the synth bass to sound as close as possible, slap the line, and use a blend of the slap bass with the synth tone. Not authentic but I think it would sound great and a lot of fun to play. Just use your thumbs the whole way through. :hyper:

13. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    It's only funny if I don't have to explain it.

14. Hans van Bree

Hans van Bree

Dec 31, 2007
    Hi there, here a post from Holland...
    The bass lines from Everything she wants is a definitely a synth bass. Yeah could be played with a bass guitar, and the dance floor probably wouldnt hear the difference but hey ae we real musicians or not? Having multi decennia of guitar, bass, and synth experience the bass lines of Whams Everything She Wants is truly not a bass guitar, it's a analog synth bass. Well, it could be a Minimoog, a Nova tion BassStation, or a Roland TB-303. Well, to be honest with you guys, I will eat my shoes if it is not the TB-303!!
    best
    always
    Hans van Bree, Amsterdam, Holland