Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whammy and Blending

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So i'm going to get a Whammy next paycheck. I don't care what other people say, I just wanna give the Whammy a whirl. ANYWAYS, I heard that it doesn't keep the original note. Is there anyway I can play the original and "harmonized note"? I know you could go the wet-dry rocker loooper dealio, but I've heard that the Whammy has a Dry output and a Wet output. Couldn't I get an A/B box instead of a wet-dry looper and then I could select which one I want (ie only wet, only dry, or both?)

So my options (feel free to add):
    1. Loooper with wet-dry rocker
    2. A/B Box (?)
    3. Wet Output to one amp, dry to another (not possible)

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Pics of what i'm thinking:
    [​IMG]
    Wet and dry into A and B then out into next pedal or amp or whatever.

[​IMG]
    Can I get that with a blend rocker, or do I need a 1 loooper?

[​IMG]
    Would this be good?

And also, I was just thinking, would I put this pedal at the end or beginning or what? Thanks guys.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You da man!

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I see this pedal has dual outputs. I only have one amp, so could I use a Y cable (2 males to 1 male) with it or would I need a loooper that has two inputs and one output?

4. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Could you not get a Loooper with a Blend option or run it through a loop of a Boss LS-2 then you can keep the original note and blend in the wet signal of the Whammy Pedal.

I've got the Bass Whammy and ideally one day what id like to do is run a sperate amp for all my effects, so the pure signal is retained. BUT lack of funding is preventing me!

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    About the blended loooper: That's what I was thinking, but this thing has 2 outputs (one dry and one wet) so why wouldn't I use both ya know?

About two amps: Me too buddy, me too...

6. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Just had a look at that A/B Loooper, im sure it would work if you can have both on at the same time, but it looks like you can only switch between A or B. Wait till you get the whammy as you might be impressed with using the wet output.

Id like to try the new WH4 against the rare Bass Whammy. The tracking is quite poor by itself but add some distortion and its abit better. But still, its great to bring into a song and use live and watch peoples reactions as your rocking between two octives :hyper:

7. for what I believe you want to do you don't need the loop pedal and you don't need to use the wet out.

...you want to use the shifting effect while keeping your "original tone", correct? the Whammy does this (poorly) with the harmonizer function. Set the whammy to harmonizer to octave up or down. Your original tone will always come through (again with lots of colouration since the pedal is rubbish) and then you can shift up or down an octave (or something close to an octave) by rocking the pedal up or down. It is just like using the pitch shift settings only your original note also comes through...

I will admit that I even thought of picking one up for my noise/duo projects as they can be a lot of fun. Unfortunetly, they are just so poorly done that I cannot justify spending 150-200 dollars on a 'broken' effect... the unibass will have to do. Oh and the chorus does sound great on these things...

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I got around this by getting another amp.

I have dry and wet completely separated.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's great and all, but it doesn't help at all. I've said multiple times I only have 1 amp.

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    you could use the blend function on the boss LS-2 or try a y-cable. the ls-2 is good because its active and therefore allows line volumes to be set quite easily.

i would wait though and check out exactly how the whammy's outputs work and then figure out what you need.

mike

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    You heard wrong- it keeps the original note in the "Harmony" section of presets. I own one but for those who would argue, here is a link to the manual. Refer to page 10.

In the "Detune" section and "Whammy" section it drops the original note, as states on pages 9 and 11.

As for the pedal being rubbish, I would heartily disagree.

Ted

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You have the WH-4 right? Would you reccomend it?

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, I do and yes- I would recomend it. It opens up an entirely new sonic landscape especially when combined with other pedals.

Ted