Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whammy and tool's Eulogy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by retitled, Jul 20, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    ok.. i got the powertab for the song Eulogy by Tool.. for the intro it says to use a whammy set on harmonize... i searched whammy on google and found it is a brand of wah wah by digitech...

i recently won a bidding for a dunlop crybaby on ebay and am still waiting its arrival... but can i still get that tone with out using a whammy set to harmonize?

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Nope....A Whammy is similiar in usage to a Wah, as in Rocking the pedal, but functions nothing like it. A whammy actually changes the pitch and can harmonize, while the wah just modifies the note but still at the same pitch.

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    so whats meant by "harmonize"?

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    He uses it on the "5th" setting. With my 6 string bass, I can do the same thing he's doing by playing chords.

He plays the blue whammy, but that thing isn't very good supposedly. I'm going to be getting a red one soon.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

As Petary said, he harmonizes on the 5th. Harmonizing is pretty much creating a chord. The 5th being the fifth note of the scale. With a Digitech Whammy, you can rock the pedal (like a wah) to switch to different harmonies.

Also as Petary said, you could do that using chords BUT you gotta be quick. With a whammy you can play something quick and the "chord" will follow you.

Search Talkbass for Digitech Whammy.