Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whammy bar/tremolo effect without whammy bar/tremolo?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by motorteipidpa, Dec 11, 2003.

1. i was just watching the video of the "ampeg bass bash" performance off of bill dicken's website. Billy sheehan has a little short solo thing in there were it sounds like hes playing harmonics then using a whammy bar to bring the pitch down then back up.but it dosent look like theres a whammy bar on his bass,from what i can tell,but there probably is and im probably just sounding dumb lol.is there a way to do it without a whammy bar?wen he plays the harmonics it looks like he picks his bass up with both hands and like shakes it or something. i have no clue.he probably has a whammy bar and i just cant see it.but i was wondering if he dosent does anyone know how he is achieving this effect.
    thanks

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Is he bending the neck? I do it when I play The Awakening by Les Claypool, because he has a whammy, and bends the harmonics with that, but I have no such bar. To do it, either bend the neck forward (SLOWLY AND GENTLY) to lower the pitch, or bend it back (SLOWLY AND GENTLY) to raise the pitch.

3. that must be what he is doing it kind of looks like it.i just tried it on my bass and it works lol.i never thought it was possible to lower the pitch without a whammy bar.thanks for the info.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    *tips hat*

Just doing my job.

:D