Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whammy pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexclaber, Jan 15, 2003.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just a few questions regarding the re-issue Whammy (4):

What's the tracking like on these? How do they cope with the lowest notes on a 4-string?

Should they go first in the FX chain (after a compressor) to avoid preceding FX sounds being lost as they are 'whammyed'? I've noticed that Doung Wimbish puts his distortions in front of his Whammy - do you think this might be so he can get long sustaining whammy'd notes?

What's the bypass like and is it possible to replace the existing switch with a true bypass one?

And if you play chords, will they harmonise with the lowest note in the chord (like an Octabass) or do they only work with single notes or octaves?

Cheers,

Alex

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have one and I've noticed that the lower notes distort alot when pitch shifted. I use mine mainly for the doubler effect, but I'll pitch bend every now and then too.

3. do not
    I REPEAT
    DO NOT buy ANY digitech whammy Re-Issue.
    I have tried the wh-4 as well as the whammy wah and both are absolutely useless for anything but a noise maker. The "harmonies" are not in harmony... hell the "octaves" arent even in tune. Whenever its on it pitches you signal slightly even without pressing the expression pedal!!! I would love one of these effects if it actually did what it was supposed to. I guess I will have to one day finally shell out the 400 bucks for a real wh-1... :rolleyes:

4. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Get a Boss PS-5 and the expression pedal... Same effect, no tracking issues. Allodox put up some soundclips, IIRC.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    that's odd, I haven't had those problems with mine. I think mine might be a wh-2 though, could that be the reason?

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Hmmm... Well last night I spent about 45 minutes playing through a re-issue Whammy and was rather impressed. Yes, it does sound a bit weird and digital, and the bypass is somewhat coloured, but I can see so many opportunities for using it, particularly with soloing and looping. Unfortunately I didn't get to try the Boss PS-5, but on the basis of this little test I'd be more than happy with the Whammy.

Alex