1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whammy tracking

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman515, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Hello all,

I have a question that has probably been answered before, but in all of my searches i could not find it. I have heard that the Whammy4 does not track as well as the Bass whammy in on the low notes. My quesiton is, how low does it track well? Does it stop at an A or can it go to an E or D. Just curious, i am debating on the Whammy4 or begining the saving process for the BAss whammy. I am not sure if the 5th/Oct setting is worth the $400 price tag.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    For me, the Whammy IV tracks fine. Depending on what you're using it for it does get glitchier/sound more digitized on lower notes, but it will always track the note.

Also, the down shift modes sound fine to me, pretty much always. It's the more dramatic up shifts that get weird. On lower notes the +2 oct gets super digital sounding and very noisy.

Sorry, no experience on a Bass Whammy, can't compare.

3. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    +1

4. Tracks fine when shifting up from E/D, but doesn't do so well when shifting down from E/D.

But i personally don't think any pedal does - and i never understood why people always seem to want octave pedals tracking below an E string. It won't sound anywhere near as good as just down tuning with higher gauge strings.

5. jinithith2

jinithith2

Jul 15, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i dont have too much experience with a whammy 4 but the bass whammy is really picky with how much gain you give it. sounds more natural on bass than the whammy 4 though.
    I say go for the whammy 4. the bass whammy is going around 650 now and i dont think its worth that much