whammy/tremolo bar, putting one on

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by olps, Dec 15, 2001.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    How would you put a whammy or tremolo bar onto an Ibanez soundgear (4 string)? And how much would this cost? Lastly Are they easy to put on, or do you go to the shop to get them to put one on? Thanks.
  2. not to sound mean or anything but i have to ask why? what the hell would compel a person to put a tremolo on a soundgear?
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A Kahler may not fit too well on the curvy body shape of a SGR.
    There's major routing involved, which results in a major loss of wood mass, and it probably will further thin out the already thin sound of a SGR.

Usually it's a better idea to order a vibrato-equipped bass than modding a bass.

Costs will be from 500$ upwards (probably closer to 1000$ incl. installation).

A Kahler's tuning stability is that of a Bigsby or vintage Fender,which means you can do a little (careful) wiggling, but that's it. Don't expect to be able to do Floyd Rose-like divebombs or stuff like that. You'd be able to do a bit more than you can do with finger vibrato, but no guitar stunts.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I only paid about $75 to have mine installed by Greg Curbow. It was about 10 years ago.

And, I have no problem doing big divebombs with mine. You just need to have it set properly. The thing will be way out of tune, but it's definitely good for more than a "wiggle."