1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whammy true bypass - quick & simple

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by excane, Nov 10, 2006.

1. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Quick question.....

On the newer red Whammy IV pedal, I know it is NOT a true hardwire bypass (3PDT) so......

Does anyone know what kind of switch is used AND has anyone modified it to be a true bypass?

Thanks.

2. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Don't know the kind of switch, but no one (to my knowledge) has modded it for true bypass, because of the digital nature of the pedal. If I am not mistaken the switch is connected to the circut board or something like that which makes it incredibly difficult to mod it.

3. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing about being able to put a 3PDT switch in there but was skeptical.

I was assuming it currently is a double throw 2PDT but I'm not sure. Maybe someone can confirm?

4. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    I personally wouldn't try to do this mod. I'm 99% sure this pedal uses electronic bypass. Doesn't the bypass switch also do something else, like engage the tuner, if you hold it down? I own one, but it's at home right now.

The safest and easiest way to do it would be with an external switch box. Figure a small project box, the 2 jacks, and a DPDT switch. Velcro everything to a small piece of plywood or Lexan and you're good to go.

5. The whammy IV doesn't have a tuner mate.

6. The Whammy IV to my knowledge is not true-bypass. However, people say that it doesn't suck too much tone, so they live with it.

If you want to be safe though, try putting it in it's own true-bypass loop.

www.loooper.com

7. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Whammy IV significantly colours your bypassed tone.

Mine is isolated via Loooper.

8. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    Ah, the one I have must be an older version. I can never keep them straight.

9. or u can just do what i did and send a dry signal out at the same time as the wet :) i have an echo park at the end of my chain and i have the dry signal going into the stero input of it, so i have a dry signal ontop of my wet at all times :)

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Inactive

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1

11. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    If you do the Loooper (which is the best option really) you cannot go through loooper since he doesn't take orders anymore. However loop master does...I went through him when David stopped taking orders. The guy is nice and prices are very comprable. www.loop-master.com

12. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY

Not a problem for me, I already have a loooper from Mr. Boggs :)
    Fantastic guy to deal with, hope he starts building them again.

13. I have a 3 loop + 1 master bypass + 1 tuner out being built by Brian/ loop-master right now. The thing is, I still feel like I need another 5 loops at least (for my EH pedals, my Barf Bag, and my Whammy). But alas- there is no more space on my board...