Whammy Uses

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I keep Finding information on people who uses Whammys, primarily Justin Chancellor, but I can't tell when he's using it. Can somebody give me some good songs and examples of people who use whammys? Thanks!

2. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    He uses a rare Digitech Bass whammy which is in a blue casing. Check out schism, about 4 minutes into the song Justin uses the whammy pedal, along with a delay and probably some sort of distortion as well. Hes hammering the notes whilst sweeping the volume with his left hand and rocking the whammy pedal forward (set 1 oct up).

Amazing bit of bass playing if u ask me!
  3. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Forgot to say listen to Dispostion as well. Hes uses the whammy alot in this. Its set 5th/1octive up. The whammy kicks in a minute into the song. Again an amazing bit of bass playing. The sweeping noises heard is the whammy pedal being rocked forward and back, going from 5th up to 1 octive up.

He uses it in Lateralus as well, 7.20 second into the song. Again set 1 octive up.

If your interested in a tablature for all this which tells you when the whammy pedal is in uses check out www.tooltabs.net
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I just checked that out. That's awesome! Once I get my Whammy, i'm gonna give that a try.
  5. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    the ending of lateralus (since "with my feet upono the ground) its the best expresion of art i heard. its just amazing

im looking foward for their next albumn
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Same. You don't understand how much I can't wait. Lateralus (the album) is really a Holy Gift.
  7. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

totally agree..... you know if there is a date for the next one?

i heard thet this one is going to be a lot more progressive and heavyer, like 20 minute songs...... but its just a something i readed oin the internet....
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Aw man, linkage!

I've heard anywhere from October of this year to early next year. I don't really care how long as long as it's a masterpiece like Lateralus.
  9. Their new album is going to be the heaviest yet. Nothing like lab of god or metalica, but it will be heavier than Opiate, more angry. Not sure on any release date though. Adams rig has changed significantly, Not sure on Justins, but im 100% sure hes still using WAL's and Mesa Boogie.

As for the whammy, the songs he uses them on are:

Eulogy, off of Aenema
    Push-it, off of Aenema
    Third Eye, off of Aenema(their best song ever)
    The Grudge, off of Lateralus (he uses the detune effect on it)
    Schism, off of Lateralus
    Ticks and Leeches, off of Lateralus(yes he uses the whammy, during the quiet part.)
    Dispostion, off of Lateralus

If you want to know where he turns it on, go to www.tooltabs.net, I hang out there on the forums, but we never talk about Tool. great source for tabs, despite the fact some need correction, Ive been working on that, Check out the tabs section in the forum. (this is SPAM isn't it?)
  10. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    I think you can only pull that song off with the Digitech Bass Whammy, the WH4 doesnt have that setting.

Dont forget Lateralus, off Lateralus!!
  11. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    From what I understand the WH-4 has all the settings that the bass whammy has, and all in all the bass whammy wasn't all that special, nothing specific to bass over the normal whammy.

But I could be wrong
  12. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    aside from what Justin has done with the whammy, do you guys think it's worth the price as a unique and useable effect?

I guess that's very subjective, is $200+ worth being stepped on once or twice a night... depends on the person and how important the sound is to them.
  13. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    If your after the Bass Whammy you'll have to look on ebay as they are discontinued. There are differences with the Bass Whammy and WH-4 such as the Bass Whammy has the setting for 5th up / 1 Octive up. If your not bothered about that then go for the WH-4.
  14. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Yeah, I was stuck in getting the Bass whammy, because I think I tried an earlier model normal whammy, and it really just didn't work on my bass. I just tried the newer model, and it works great. I can't wait to get a hold of one.

I think I'll probably use it in a similar way as Justin, but once I get a good handle on how to make cool things with it, I'll probably deviate from his style as much as possible. If I only used the effect in one or two songs in a gig, I'd definatly says it's worth it. All the bass players in the house will suddenly go "whoa, what the hell is he doing?"

I think i'm just going to wait until Christmas though.
  15. To save money, you can Find a Whammy XP-100, they run for 150-200 bucks used, and have the same effects as the bass whammy.
  16. I'm curious if anyone knows if the tone at the begining of Audioslaves "your time has come" was produced with the Whammy. I am curious because if that is what a Digitech Whammy sounds like on Bass count me out. :spit:
  17. Yeah thats Tom using octave up mixed with the normal tone. However there are other uses of it other than this.
  18. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Tom is probably one of the biggest Whammy users in the biz. :p
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow... some bassist uses a whammy and it destroys every form of art ever...
  20. It sounds like the pedal has a pretty hard time tracking when its octave up. It has really nasty digital warble. It actually hurts my ears to hear it. :crying:
    I do however enjoy Jack Whites uses of it on the stripes records.