Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whammy

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Bass whammy bars exist. Do any recordings by well-known artistes act as an example of their use?

2. Wooten uses one - and there's a guy who used to be in the Miles Davis band in the early 1990s called Foley who played a lead bass - but he just sounded like John Scofield on guitar - I guess listen to guitar guys for the various technique - doesn't Les Claypool have one on his four-banger? I think there's an album by his side-project called Sausage that featured some pretty heavy whammy bar stuff - mixing up slap and finger style to pretty wild effect.

Cheers

M

3. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Man, the whammy has been coming up in threads a lot the past couple of days.

The most amazing use of this pedal by a bass player, IMHO, is by Reed Mathis of the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey. Check'em out.

4. hey dude - I think he's talking about Whammy BARS not pedals - my thread below ('Whammy Funk Thing' has me on my whammy pedal) - but the dude's a talkin' about the floppy bar that metal guys like to use on their axe's

M

Whammy thing:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161882

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    les claypool used a whammy bar quite often. or at least on "john teh fisherman"

6. That´s right, check out "Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers" too -- whammy on big chords. Claypool did a wild Star Spangled Banner-thing with his whammy bar on Woodstock `94, blew my mind and instantly turned me into a Primus fan. Thinking about installing one on my Fender Jazz. Anyone have any tips about brand names, pros and cons etc?

7. tim commerford has one on his jazz, you can hear it on audioslave's "bring 'em back alive"
    nothing to the claypool caliber, but he uses it...

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm pretty sure Claypool is holding the whammy bar while he slaps on Is It Luck.

9. I know Mark White from the Spin Doctors has one on his 'Rainbow Bass'. Can't say I've noticed it being used in any recordings though.