Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whappo JR./TRI210L vs. El Whappo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, May 22, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi There, anyone ever compared a Accugroove Whappo Jr./TRI210L stack with a El Whappo? I was wondering if the Whappo Jr/TRI210L would be better sounding and flexible rig compared to a El Whappo.

2. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Here are the differences:

The Jr./210 combo would be louder & cut through a little more do to power handling, cone area & air movement. It would also be more flexible because you would have a Tri 210L for small to medium gigs, a Jr. for medium to large gigs & both cabs for when you want to scare people. Also, we are talking about a power handling capacity of 1400 watts vs. 800.

The El Whappo would be a superior “one cabinet” solution, it would cost less, weigh less & take up less space in the van than the 2 cab combo.

Other than that, it’s a win/win situation that would make any bass player a happy camper while playing any style of music at any venue. ;)

Mark
    AccuGroove...The Groovy Cabinet

3. The El Whappo is enough!! (edit: I forgot to mention I am driving it with a Thunderfunk TFB 550 and WOW!! this combo kills!!) I can not imagine needing any more than this....At first I used to think I would need a smaller cab for smaller rooms but the El Whappo sitting on a Jan-Al Road case (Casters removed) with the horns at just below ear level woks perfect....I just cut it down a little more appropriately for the smaller room (I have great PA support ALWAYS) and I got it covered.....the El Whappo does NOT get muddy and boomy in itself and any decent amp will have more than enough EQ to fix a boomy room!!

Peace,

T

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Tommixx, I'm in no doubt that the El Whappo is enough and a cheaper solution. I was just thinking if the Tri210/Whappo Jr would be a better choice for sound and flexiblity.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I use the Jr. and the Tri 210L together fairly often, and I really love it, but I think you'd be well served by either setup. The Tri 210L with the Gordo really kicks, too.

Tom.

6. jacove....Yeah, I got that, I was just trying to say more or less what Mark was saying about the El Whappo being flexible enough (though larger obviously) to pull off any type of gig and save you some bucks....

Peace,

T

7. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Allright, guys....Thanks for your comments! :bassist:

8. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    ehhh, guys, just one more question....does that mean that I will have a problem driving the 210/whappo jr. stack with for an example a Thunderfunk (400w) because the stack is 1400w vs. 800w :meh:

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    No. Power handling has nothing to do with sensitivity.

Alex

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    ok, great! thanks Alex

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Actually, this could be a concern depending on how loud you need to get or how hard you need to push them.

With a 400 watts amp, the cabinets are 3.5 x (1400 watts) the rating on that head. (Vs. 2 x on just the El Whappo/800 watts) At low to moderate volumes it should work fine, but when pushed hard in loud situations, there may or may not be enough head room (spare power) available.

Mark
    AccuGroove Pro Speaker Cabinets

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Hmmm... Are you 100% sure on that? All my experiences have been that the more speakers you add (for a given sensivity) the less power you need to reach a given SPL, particularly for bass frequencies.

For instance, I would expect two El Whappos running at a combined load of 4 ohms to be usefully louder than a single El Whappo at 4 ohms, when both rigs are driven by identical 400W Thunderfunk heads, despite the pair of cabs being rated at 4x the head's power.

Alex

13. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I normally run a DB728/DB680 and a TF and they are both great, I've never passed 1'oclock on any of the amps. I currently have a whappo jr. and it sounds nothing but SUPERB, don't why I want more ;) but I was just wondering whether I would get a even greater sound by upgrading to a EL WHAPPO or simply by adding a TRI210L. Will the tri210/whappo jr. be able to get the same low end response as a el whappo for example?

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    FWIW, when I have used SS amps to drive my Jr. and 210L, in general, I have felt that adding the 210L both fattened up my sound a tad and also gave me a bit more perceived clarity and articulation. But, when I use my 680/728, I have found that I actually prefer the sound of the Jr. by itself. The low end impact is just as strong, and the clarity, articulation and punch is slightly better with just the Jr. I cannot say why this is so, but it is what I have experienced, for whatever that's worth. I'll also add that the 680/728 into a Whappo, Jr. is just stupid good sounding, and incredibly loud, punchy, and dynamic!

15. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    tombowlus, yeah the Whappo Jr. is an extremely great sounding cab, the best I've heard so far.....I gigged with it twice this weekend and it sounded very fat, thick, balanced and tight...Allready at the second gig I could hear that the cab had broken-in and the lows seemed stronger and more full. It is really an awesome cab, I'm just a bit curious if the El Whappo can take it a step further, that would be scary! :bassist:

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Truth be told, I'm a little bit curious in this regard too... :bag:

17. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Has anyone heard the tri112l on top of a whappo jr. I was thinking about that insted of a 210l...will it work?

18. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    According to FedEx, I will know the answer to this question on June 2.

19. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Can't Wait, kjones... ;)

20. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    We had a player come in 2 weeks ago that had just spent a ton-o-$ on 4 new competitor’s cabinets. After the first gig he didn't like them at all & wanted to come hear our Whappo Jr. to see if it would replace them. (All set up through his dealer)

Because of a car accident & resulting injuries the Jr. appealed to him because of the weight factor. He came in & tested ALL of our cabinets for at least 2 hours with his basses.

The Jr. was perfect, the best cab he ever heard & it would easily replace the 4 cabs he bought. Unfortunately, he just had to plug into the El Whappo...and yes, he now has two of them. ;) (Each set up at a different rehearsal location)

Mark
    AccuGroove Speakers...& man do they speak!