1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whappo Jr. w/o PA support

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warr Tapper, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Thinking about getting one of these bad boys, and just wondering how it performs w/o PA support in a loud (but not extremely loud) rock setting. Can it fil a medium sized room, being driven by a QSC 1602 (bridged)?

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Most definitely! What makes you think 2 12's wont make an impact you can hear and feel? Its more cone area than an 18" woofer.

3. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Just want to make sure I will be able to hear myself if I step more than 5 feet away from it. Before I spend all that moolah on it , I want to make sure.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think you need to check your mathematics!

Alex

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not that it matters, since cone area alone is not an indicator of anything other than the potential radiation pattern.

6. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Get out your slide rules! Pie's are squared!:D

Can't we make a passing little bass-player-colloquial type comment without getting geeked to death? 2x12's do sound 'bigger' generally than an 18", regardless of mathematics or the physics involved.

:bag:

Musicians generally talk in conjecture and in vague, generalized 'artsy' terms about the effect sound has on our ears, bodies, and the over-all effect of the sound has rather on the precise mathematical and physical principals required to make them.

:help:

Cheers,
    Cameron

7. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I have the El Whappo. Ran a 1602 into it, with and w/o pa support. Sounded excellent either way.

8. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    But that usually comes down to cabinet size and most Bass cabinet 18s are grossly undersized for getting "big bass" couple that with the fact that most 18s have crappy response above 500hz and you have a "quieter" cab with the 18 than a pair of 12s

FWIW - a whappo Jr should do fine without PA support.

9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    If the "Jr" doesn't get loud enough for you know worries you'll be deaf by the end of the night.......

Seriously, I can't imagine you'd need more, if the PA is not large enough to support bass and drums this cab will carry you.

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    One of the best players in my area (he's on TB BTW-- DaveAceofBass) plays a Jr. Sounds unbelievable!

11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    If the Whappo Jr does not get loud enough for you ---- you're deef, Mon!

Dan K.

12. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Thanks fellas.