Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whast the difference between...Fender....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 27, 2005.

1. What would the difference be between buying a 1400 fender MIA Standard Jazz and buying a Highway 1 Jazz for 500 then putting new pups in it?

as faras I know between the 2 jazzez theonly difference is electronics andtheres no clearcoat on the Highway 1?

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Highway one parts are american I believe but they are actually assembled in Japan I think.If this is the case the fit and finish would be much better on the MIA standard

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    MIA bass comes with a graphite reinforced neck, string thru body bridge, choice of maple or rosewood neck, Ash or alder body woods, more colors (translucent as well as solid) to pick from, case with tools and strap. Take away those things and add inferior (to the MIA bass at least) pups, hardware and electronic, minus a decent paint job you have the Hwy 1 bass. It's basically a MIM bass made and assembled in the USA.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Out of all the MIM and MIA's I've played the MIM's were always consistantly better than the MIA's... But I suppose thats a personal thing.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think what you've experienced has more to do with basses that sit on shelves compared to those that sell faster. MIM basses are priced to be competitive with entry level basses while MIA basse to some are overpriced. MIM basses move off of shelves faster thus they don't suffer from exposure from abuse and climactic changes that happen as time goes on. The longer a bass sits on the shelf the more trauma the wood will go through. If you have been to a music store and have seen a bass on the wall for a year chances are it will sound and play like garbage. shelf basses should only be used as a guide and not a finale desicion on how a bass will play and sound. I have bought 8 Fender basses brand new, I ordered these basses from Fender and opened the box when they got here. I have never been disappointed with any bass I have gotten from Fender That's why I feel I can say what I say!

By the way, Hang you bass on the wall for 6 month's. Allow anyone to mess with it, make sure it experiences the draft from the doors or windows and I'll bet you will think YOUR bass sucks too when you try to play it!

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yeah I've thought about that, and had them pull out BRAND new ones out of the back so I could test them... They just dont do it for me, Either they lied about getting a new one out (Which they couldnt have because I opened it) or I just dont like MIA's...

Honestly I've never meet a Fender I'd give a 4 out of 10 to. But thats just my bass preference, I do like the Lakland JO's and Sadowsky's they are MUCH better built in my opinion.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Just a couple of comments:

One thing I do like about the HWY I is the neck profile. I like it more than any late model Fender I've played. The neck does not, however, have the graphite reinforced neck of the MIA basses. Whether that is important is up to you. Of course, being a lower price bass the pickups leave something to be desired compared to pickups from Nordstrand or Fralin, say. Quality control is not the best on Fender basses so you have to pick and choose.

The MIA Jazzes are, for the most part, good basses and I would not be ashamed to own one. They are available with different wood combinations some of which are more expensive than others. $1400 US is too much to have to pay for an alder-bodied new MIA Jazz. Ash bodies are (I think) a $150 upcharge so figure that into the equation. I can buy a new alder MIA Jazz for less than $1000 around here.

Any bass which has been sitting/hanging around for a while at a dealership is probably in need of a setup and new strings so I'd have the store fix those things before I bought it if I was serious about buying a certain bass. If the store is unwilling to do that you might want to shop elsewhere.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I/m all in favor of MIM basses. THey represent a great value - but there is no way that they are superior to MIA as a general rule. Sorry - that's just not correct. Having said that- I'd much rather spend the money on a decent quality body from USACG or Warmoth and a neck that I like, source the rest of the parts and build it up myself ... Done that twice now and the basses came out great.