1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s the point in endorsing a product if you get no remuneration?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by atrapp, Jun 19, 2007.

1. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    The manufacturer gets to use you as a no cost marketing tool, but what does the player get - other than bragging rights?

I mean back in the day if Hamer, Jackson or whomever wanted to use your name you got free gear - this new deal seems like win for the shop and a loss to the player. So really, why do you endorse a product if you get nothing for it?

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Who is an endorser for a company that isn't getting something in return? It's a two way relationship - an endorsing artist will usually get discounted gear (the level of discount will vary greatly depending on the player and the company) and the company will get exposure. If you're a touring musician, they may not give you gear for free, but they may let you use gear for your tour.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Are you sure endorsers get nothing ? Seems weird.

4. Maybe you get exposure through their web site that might help you get a job?

Assuming you get nothing else....

5. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    There seem to be a lot of "boutique" builders who claim not to "give" endorsers anything - hence the question why endorse.

6. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    You should be getting something for your endorsement. I get discounts and depending on the company free gear. If you aren't offered anything something's wrong. If it is an exclusive endorsement deal you ABSOLUTELY should be hooked up in some way.

7. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I though of that too, but honestly how many gui****s are reading the bass endorsee's at XYZ bass shop.

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    There are many types of deals, and unless you are a buffoon the deals are mutually beneficial. The manufacturer gets some degree of enhanced credibility for their product, and the endorser gets a sweeter deal than your average Joe (discounts, free stuff, tour support, marketing assistance, all kinds of possibilities) in exchange.

In my case I only endorse gear I use and want to use. A deal for gear I don't want to use is of no value to me or the manufacturer.

So, it's a win-win if you approach it right.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    +1. And probably, the most notorious you are, then better the conditions are.

10. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Personally, I despise the whole endorsement remuneration model. It makes it difficult to tell whether a player uses a particular product solely because of its merits or because the manufacturer is compensating them in some way.

What better proof that a player really thinks highly of a particular bass than if he's willing to pay the price to own it (just like the rest of us)?

11. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    True, but it really comes down to wording. Most of the guys who I've seen say that don't use the term "endorsers" but will say "ABC Guitars Artists". They'll basically just list the guys that use their basses - they aren't signing endorsement contracts or anything. That's why you'll see names of guys with other actual endorsement deals on their page. For example:

Ken Smith Musicians & Artists

On this list you see names like Andrew Gouche (long-time MTD/Tobias player), Marcus Miller (Fender), and Terrance Palmer (Tobias and now Pavel). All of these guys may have bought a Smith at one time, but have endorsement deals with other companies.

12. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Also, many of the companies that brag about not giving away basses are DEFINITELY giving discounts to some of the well known players that are their customers.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I know my guitar player gets substantial discounts on his endorsment deals. He also only takes the deals on stuff that he'd be playing anyway, if he had to pay full price. I do believe he got a cab or two and some pedals for free, and some deep deep discounts on some custom made amps.

I don't bother with endorsments myself, mainly due to the fact that I don't need or want any more equipment than I have right now, and whatever I do buy, I already get at a substantial discount.

14. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    +1

Beyond that, the smaller boutique shops don't work in quantities that allow them to eat the loss from supplying free stuff to endorsers. Peavey or Fender figure "it's just an advertising cost" - someone smaller doesn't have that kind of flexibility.

I laugh because my high school pianist now has an endorsement deal...with Casio. Even he was laughing about it.

15. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    If you're not being compensated for your endorsement chances are nobody knows who you are anyway.

16. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree with all of this 100% .... :cool:

17. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    +1

Does anyone here really think Victor Wooten would have to buy a new Fodera? :eyebrow:
    If it wasn't for Vic I bet sales wouldn't be as good as they are in spite of the quality of the instrument.

18. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Nope.

Although Entwistle is reported to have paid for his Alembics... how much we'll never know.

19. Alembic claims that all its 'endorsing' artists have paid for their instruments, with only one recent exception: Stanley Clarke was presented a bass as a big 'thank you' for thirty years of support and promotion of the company.

20. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    We're Phantom Guitars endorsers, we get special pricing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021