Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What´s the name of this scale ?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Dick Them, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Endorsing Artist : Ampeg amplifiers
    :help: Can anybody tell me what the name of this scale is ? It has got the notes A,BB,DB,D,E,F,AB,A.The sound is quite arabic.Thank you!

2. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Thanks for the answer, but the 7th is not flat, it´s major, and the 3d is major too !
    Dick :help:

3. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    It's the 5th mode of D Hungarian minor sometimes called "Gypsy" Minor

You should always try to spell a scale diatonically--- so from A it would read A, Bb, C#, D, E, F, G#, (A)

It'a OK to have "#" and "b" in the same scale.

bob

4. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Thanks, Bob. I hadn´t heard about "Gipsy Minor" before.Greetings from Barcelona, :cool:
    Dick

5. bwulf

bwulf

May 15, 2004
    Eureka, CA
    I'm sorry. I should have stated that I changed the tonic so that it starts on Ab instead of A. I guess I changed it to the locrian mode of your original scale without realizing it. It did sound pretty weird that way.
    Here is a good resource for scales with some good links.http://www.angelfire.com/id/bass/
    Although I didn't read it very well.

6. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    Does anyone know why it's referred to as gypsy minor if the third is major?

7. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    If I understand correctly, Bob "bassphase" says that my mentioned scale in A is the 5th grade of the D Gipsy Minor scale.The same scale beginning in A contains a major 3rd ( C#) and beginning in D contains a minor 3rd ( F ).Thanks again,

Dick

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    TO me, at first blush, it just seems like a synthetic scale made from a tetrachord from D harmonic minor and A harmonic minor.

9. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    It's very close to the mixolydian flat 2, flat6 (only difference is the G#) which can be used as a secondary dominant over minor chords if you start the scale a fifth below the chord. It especially sounds really good over a long minor chord vamp.