What´s this Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoolHat, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Surfing across Europe, I stumbled upon this nice looking Jazz:

I couldn´t find any info on Fender website or Google. They call it FMT, but it doesn´t look like the FMT basses I know and its MIM - aren´t FMTs MIA? Older model perhaps? Any first-hand experiences?
  2. Fotoflame Jazz?
    (ie. fake flame top using a film under the finish)
  3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

You surfed across Europe? Are your legs tired?
  4. Hey, they claim that it has flame maple top and it´s on the internet so it must be true ;)! But does Fender still make Fotoflames? I thought it was strictly 90´s MIJ thing. I own a ´94 Fotoflame Strat, very nice guitar and the fake finish doesn´t bother me.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It may just be a model sold only in Europe.
  6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nah. Unknown here.
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, it's a Mexi-Jazz with bit fancier looks. I doubt it differs very much from normal Std Jazz. Might be Thomann's NOS, and I think the "flamed maple top" would be only a thin slice of laminate, as in Ibanez BTBs et cetera.
  8. Probably true. Still looks nice though.
  9. Fender needs to make an American line with FMT and pickguard... That bass looks nice, especially with the Aged Cherry Sunburst.
  10. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I think musician's friend was also selling these last year (Mexican Jazz with flame or photo flame top w/ pickguard) as a limited run.
  11. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    See this link *HERE* and this will answer your question. Same bass but in blue.

Here's a photo:
    Photo flame? I don't know. Probably not. Sharp!
  12. Wow, that blue beast is a looker! So it seems that these "fancy top" MIMs are some sort of limited run. I couldn´t find any info about them despite some heavy googling.

BTW, I decided to go for that cherryburst beauty. It´s the first time I have bought a bass online, without first-hand experience, but I´m fairly optimistic. I tried out just about every MIM Jazz in the local shops last week and I found the quality to be surprisingly good. People talk about the inconsistent QC of MIM Fenders, but my evidence didn´t support those claims. There were no absolute killers, but no turkeys either; solid, nicely playing instruments. That´s good enough for me, since this isn´t going to be my main bass. So I took the risk; we´ll see how it turns out in few weeks... :)
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    G'luck! Where'd you found it, by the way?

Seems like these MIM's are on the run, I recently got my basic black one, which currently is going through some modifications.. Pics to follow :smug:
  14. Thomann, where else ;).
    Oh yeah, is that the dirt cheap one you talked about earlier, the one under your female friend´s bed? I was hoping you would turn that deal down and let me have it...

And yeah, I´ll be posting plenty of pics too after the baby arrives...
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, the one. At the end, she made me a deal I couldn't resist no matter how hard I tried! :crying:

It stands in the corner, at the moment, waiting for Basslines pups and new strings to arrive, plus for a couple of cosmetic changes, but after the mods and some tweaks, it should be a player!
  16. Cool! I´ll probably be getting some hum-cancelling pups (perhaps Duncan Basslines) for the Cherryburst in the future. But let´s not rush things, I don´t even have the bass yet!