What´s this? Kustom cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Aug 21, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I saw a used 2x15 cab by Kustom from the 70th or 80th. What kind of speakers where they using at that time? The seller claims it´s 400W RMS.
    Are these cabs any good? How´d they sound?

Here is a pic I found on the net of a cab with the same look (although it´s a 1x15"):
  2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Kustom has a reputation for being thick, pillowy and plush. This model is different, however.

Oh wait -- you're asking how they SOUND!...

:D ;) :bag:
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    :eek: :D
    Ok, just qurious since the price was really low.
    I guess you get what you pay for.
    Never mind this thread then.:p
  5. The older "tuck & roll" Kustom cabs very often has JBL D140s in them, but I'm not sure what else they used. You want to be very careful because recently someone has resurrected the Kustom name and is putting it on all kinds of cheap gear.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In the tuck and roll days, CTS drivers were stock, JBL and Altec were factory upgrdaes.

The tolex ones (late 70s/early 80s) I think offered EV as upgrades, the stock drivers were probably still CTS (CTS did go under sometime in the 80s).

As far as "good sound", yes...by "old school" standards. Not a lot of true low end, more like lots of low mids.

$200 would be top dollar for a tolex 2-15 like that.
  7. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I had to borrow one of the tuck and roll 2x15s once. It sounded pretty bad in my opinion. This may or not apply to the cab you mention. Good luck!