Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What´s your favourite Mike Lull finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joenok, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I´m having trouble deciding for my M5V, M5 and P4 fretless
    M5V and M5 will be with maple board, M5V with black mechanics, and without pickguard.

Inputs are appreciated. What´s your choice?

j

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I like the figured Maple tops on a M5 with no PG personally and prefer translucent colors.

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I just like translucent colors -- no pickguard and no fancy figured tops (though I do like spalted maple -- quilted or flamed maple does nothing for me, personally).

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Mike's M5s with ash bodies and his supply of quilted maple tops are simply beautiful and currently my "Lotto Winner" choice of high-end instrument as I've discovered that after 15 years of playing that a J-style bass suits my style and playing best. All of his transparent finishes are top-of-the-line, with his transparent red, blue, teal and black at the top of my list and his unique "Fire" is perhaps my "dream bass":

[​IMG]
    Bryan Beller (Mike Keneally Band, Steve Vai, many others) with his M5 transparent red/Mo' Bass/2 Goliath II rig. I've had the fortune to play this bass, and the sheer tone, playability and overall quality and attention to detail can hang with any bass. Toss in his M5 fretless in Carmel Burst and the illegal things I'd do for this setup in general is far too much to list here... :smug:

[​IMG]
    Newer style M5 (smaller lower horn) in transparent blue.​

[​IMG]
    Elegant simplicity, and I'll say it over and over - matching headstocks tie the instrument together, especially with a lighter color fingerboard.​

[​IMG]
    M5 in transparent teal. This with a lined ebony board and matching headstock is my dream fretless, bar none.​

[​IMG]
    If the teal above is my dream fretless, this with a maple 'board and matching headstock most certainly is my dream fretted. The depth of the quilt is amazingly deep, and not for the faint of heart. :smug:

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Boy, I wish he'd kept that body style for the Modern line....

[​IMG]

:(

6. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    keep ´em coming!

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    all the trans finishes are gorgeous. i like trans white and trans black myself- this white one won its way into my heart, and i have a trans black with block inlays on the way, I love the maple tops, but i am sticking to all ash for the tone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here's that teal one again!
    [​IMG]

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm more of an "old school" guy myself when it comes to jazz and P-bass color schemes. Two and three color bursts are great, but the old Fender custom colors from the mid-60's (with matching headstocks) are great too. :) How 'bout a burgundy mist body and headstock with a rosewood board? :D Mmmmmmmmmm.....

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    About Lulls...
    i have had several here that were for sale as stock, periodically, i would check one out and say " nice bass!" and leave it at that. But I have a soft spot for a Jazz style bass in my heart and believe me, i have tried and owned everything i can lay my hands on from Sadowsky to Celinder to the inexpensive KSD, Fender Am Dlx, Fender Custom Shop, USA Custom Guitars, I have left no stone unturned. A few have eluded me, Hotwire, for instance..
    well, the trans white bass, for some reason, sat here for a long time with just a few hits and no sale. I started checking it out, took a few minutes to set it up, tweak the neck , etc ( very easy, no allen wrench needed, just a screwdriver ) and stared to notice that this wasn't just a nice bass, it was an exceptional bass! my God it plays as good as my F bass! and that's saying a ton for me! and the tone is so clean and totally USABLE! i could not resist and sold it to myself ( i have a 2 mnoth wait for my new one and i could not take it anymore!)
    well, i have been gigging with it with an amp and also in an "in-ear" situation where it just goes to a submixer with the bass in one channel and the rest of the band mix in another and i tell you, it sounds like i am in a studio. The whole range sounds great, regardles of where on the neck i play, it sounds full, punchy and clean- the preamp ( with adjustable gain, i love it!) responds beautifully and i have ZERO complaints about this bass- light, beautiful, sounds great, plays like a dream- now i just habe to figure out why these basses are not way more popular! They are the perfect J for where my head is at right now. Fantastic! They make me the best player i can be... and that means I am SOLD!

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I miss my old Trans Teal M5 :bawl:

I really would like to get another M5, but I'm pretty sure I don't dig the new design. When did Mike change it and why? Can you still order the older design? I'd love to get another one, but if I can't get one with the older body style, I'm going to have to buy used.

11. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Very well said Adrian, I agree 100% :)

I have two Lulls ... a Vintage J-4 & P-4, they are just super playing and sounding basses IMO.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I liked this color a lot. It was a much deeper blue in normal light, but under sunlight or bright stage lighting the quilt was easy to see.

[​IMG]

13. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Thanks for all the cool inputs!
    I really liked the Teal, and the translucent white is also beautiful, still I think that one fits best on a bass with a pickguard (maybe a dark pickguard)

But what about tuners? Cloverleaf or Y-style? Chrome, gold or black?

I´m kind of stuck up with the "Lake Placid Blue" or even "Dakota Red" for the fretless. -The Daktota fretless on "recent guitars&basses" looks just amazing with the black fingerboard.... :hyper:
    Maybe dakota red fretless with black tuners...?

14. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I used to own this beautiful Vintage 4. One of the best burst finishes ever, especially with the mint PG.

Attached Files:

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    One of my favorite finishes I've ever seen on any bass was on a Lull...not sure what this finish was called...I believe Roger Gee told me this one was "Honeyburst" IIRC....

[​IMG]

16. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I got a Honeyburst m4v in my hands.
    I think they come in different "colors" -they never look the same-.
    Mine is 5A too, I love it. But of course it has the PG, so it does´nt shine like it should.

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Lull also changed who does his finishes a few years back I believe and I know the one I posted was the earlier one.