What’s a good P pickup to pair with a J bridge for slap tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Giorno Giovanna, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Giorno Giovanna

Giorno Giovanna

Apr 14, 2023
    I was thinking of pairing either a Dimarzio Model P or a Dimarzio Sixties P with an Ultra Jazz bridge pickup. I’m really trying to get that “best of both worlds” and would like a great P pickup as well as the ability to have a great slap sound which I know may never truly sound close to a jazz bass. But I’m wondering if it’s better to have a P pickup with more or less top range presence in order to get a better scooped sound with the J pickup.

What PJ pickups have worked well for you?

2. manchego_eggo

manchego_eggo Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Geezer PJ set always gets rave reviews. It's one of the few PJ sets I have played that I felt had good tones all around.

3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I've liked the Wilde (Bill Lawrence) set in a few basses. Balance between the pickups is good and the sound is dynamic and clear without being sterile. When I first tried them in my main player, they struck me as a cross between a vintage pickup (a broad term, I know) and the active EMGs that had been in that bass for years.

To be fair, I think pickup placement and the acoustic tone of your bass (including string choice) will impact the amplified sound along with pickup choice. FWIW, for a straight-up Precision tone, I prefer the traditional P-placement (EA coil closer to the neck, DG closer to the bridge) for most things, but, with a PJ, I prefer the P reversed/flipped (EA closer to the bridge, DG closer to the neck, as in my Power Jazz Bass Special, some Spectors, etc.). That said, my fretless P/J, with a traditional P placement and the J in 70s position (or at least close to that), the aforementioned Wilde pickups, and some ground-wound GHS strings, gets a pretty funky and cutting slap tone.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other sets that will work well as long as they're designed as a set (i.e. as long as the J is capable of balancing out the P).

With a P, I'd be inclined to get a hum-cancelling J (and I think most sets designed as such will be that way), but people have paired them with single coil Js, too.