1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What’s everyone’s opinion of JT’s Halftime show?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RobTheRiot, Feb 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Title pretty much says it all: just curious to hear of everyone’s take on Justin Timberlake’s halftime performance at the Super Bowl.

I’m not a “fan”of his, haven’t and probably won’t buy an album, but I definitely respect him as being the rare talent whom moves out from the shadow of his boy band, gained respect in the pop/r&b/hip hop communities, and now seems to push into all different musical genres.
    I was surprised that he didn’t use the time honored technique of including big name guest artists to keep the excitement up, and instead chose to carry the whole show himself, with a wide variety of music and a show that went from the tunnels to the field and into the stands. I was impressed - not overly so, there’s been better - but thought it was a really solid & entertaining performance.
    Just curious what the discerning musicians of talk bass thought of it.

2. I thought it was great. Adam Blackstone played bass. He’s also Justin’s MD. You should watch the behind the scene footage of they coming up with the arrangements. It’s crazy.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think he is a huge talent. I would go so far as to say I'm a fan. This show was cheesy and "safe". He was climbing stairs more than he was singing. I'm all for entertainment. I'm all about the show. This guy took a long walk while music played.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Liked it. Did the OP miss the Prince tribute?

5. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Blah. Woulda been better if Left Shark had been a guest star. But then there might have been a "fin malfunction" and the NFL would have none of that. The game was entertaining. More so than I expected.

loudnfuzzy, nixdad and two fingers like this.
  6. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I thought he did a great show. I hadn't been a fan until watching his 'JT & The Tennessee Kids' concert on Netflix.
    He's survived his boyband past well.

mapadofu and nixdad like this.
  7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    My wife is one of those "there's a football game going on during a JT show" types, so it is one of the few times I've watched the Super Bowl.
    He stuck to his hits, saving his new material for a Jimmy Fallon performance later. The stage show was a little underwhelming. My wife wanted to see more singing. The Prince tribute was nice.
    I think I liked it better that they didn't bring out more artists. Sometimes that makes it feel crowded or rushed.
    Over all I'd say it was a good show.

DiabolicLow B likes this.
  8. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    JT is one of the few ex-boy-banders that I respect...he seems to be relatively humble, has a good head on his shoulders and doesn't make the news with stupid incidents. Not my type of music, not my scene, but I respect the guy. That being said, I left about halfway into it due to boredom. While I appreciate all of the planning and choreography, etc, it just wasn't that enthralling to this middle-ager. But better than Coldplay and Madonna! LOL

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    two fingers and mrpackerguy like this.
  9. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    It reminded me of a mega church production.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The Superbowl is more about the event (commercials, merch, parties) than the game. The halftime show is more about the event (Lady GaGa coming down from the roof, the wardrobe malfunction, choreographed crowd) than the music.

MJ5150 and Funky Ghost like this.
  11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I dug it. JT is a heck of a performer and he covered the songs from his cannon I like so I was a happy camper. The Prince tribute seemed a forgone conclusion and maybe a bit forced in there but it was well done.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  12. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Best commercial for me was the first half of the Peter Dinklage v Morgan Freeman battle. Dinklage was a beast :D

peter-dinklage-breathes-fire-sb..

mrwood4, Mushroo and two fingers like this.
  13. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Super Bowl halftime shows have been getting better each year since Up with People.

14. My thoughts exactly. I have seen him on SNL and other things and he had earned my respect, while his music isn't my bag. That said, I left the room as well, I thought it was a snoozer.

15. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Just not my type of entertainment.

Mike N, MJ5150 and Dale Griffith like this.
  16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Did you notice his lips were not moving nor did he have the mic near his mouth in several spots especially during the beginning of "Can't Stop The Feeling" but his vocal track was playing?

Otherwise, I thought it was okay just not my thing.

JMacBass65 and JRA like this.
  17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i like him and consider him a reference for how good music these days can be.

that said: i thought the TV/production mix was lacking = poor vocal placement, especially at the beginning.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  18. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I didn't have a lot of respect for him til I saw him on some award show, with C. Stapleton. He knocked it out of the park. I realized an artist CAN grow into being the real deal.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I thought it was good. Didn’t blow me away. I think I would have liked it more if he stayed on stage. Band is always tight. Adam is a great bassist and BL. Visually there was a lot going on. Dude was all over the place. Prince and Bruno Mars have set the bar. Better bring your A game.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

He’s the real deal. Good singer and musician. Can also act. Was inevitable he would leave the boy band behind. Check out his show at Madison Square Garden. Excellent.