1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s in your drawer? The pedals that you aren’t using right now, but are keeping . . . and why

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Apr 23, 2015.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I have a cheap rolling tool chest that I store my excess gear in – extra strings, cables, straps, tools, etc. One of the drawers in the chest is the ‘extra pedal drawer,’ and lately it’s gotten more crowded.

The Before/After thread got me thinking: What’s in your drawer? What are the pedals that you aren’t using right now, but are keeping . . . and why?

I am trying hard to keep myself limited to a PT JR sized board, but space is tight on it, and several very nice pedals that I really want to use have been left off it as a result. I am seriously thinking of building a small add-on board for certain shows, or maybe getting a larger board. But right now my drawer is somewhat full. Here’s what I have in there now, and why I still have it:

IMG_2889_zpsyyzszndz.

Top row, left to right:

The pink Malekko B:Assmaster was a special ‘save the boobies’ edition (BC fundraiser), and it was my fuzz pedal for years. My tastes in fuzz have changed but it remains a great fuzz and if enough space ever opens up on my board, I’d love to gig it again some day. Plus it’s pink and sparkly with a switch and knob labeled “Ass.” How can you not love that?

Malekko Omicron Phase pedal – back when I was going to build a separate nano pedalboard for 1590A pedals, I got this. I may sell it soon, as I’ve largely abandoned those plans. It’s a good phaser for its size though. Might come in useful on an add-on board.

3leaf Groove Regulator – this was on my board for many years, and like the B:Assmaster is a veteran of hundreds of shows. It recently got bumped off in favor of my Kilpatrick Audio Vibro Man but I still really like it. I am curious about a Proton though (mainly because of the small size), and if I get a Proton and like it, could possibly sell the GR. It’s almost like an old friend at this point, however.

Bottom row, left to right:

Spaceman Sputnik – The fact that I haven’t yet gotten this on my board is driving me nuts. I love this pedal but I need to reorganize my board so that it’s up front, before the [sfx] mThump buffer. I have also considered making a tiny add-on ‘annex’ board with this, the Aphelion, and one or two others.

Spaceman Aphelion – A gift from my wife. It’s a fantastic overdrive but there’s no room! It makes the add-on board that much more attractive as an idea. The sound of the Aphelion into the Sputnik alone is worth the hassle of hauling an extra small board.

SVI GeFuzz 4.0 (Steampunk edition) – aside from the fact that I got a great deal on this and it looks really cool as the copper oxidizes, it sounds incredible! Tons of gain though, and like the Sputnik really sounds best in front of a buffer. A small add-on board could hold this one too . . .

MythFX Minotaur – Another pedal I got an incredible deal on when I was planning the nano pedal board. It’s a good sounding fuzz, but my main reason for keeping it is that you can hear/demo for someone else the difference between Germanium and Silicon fuzzes by flipping the switch. Versatile and super tiny. It’s probably my 4th or 5th best fuzz, but it’s still kinda cool.

Xotic SP compressor – Another purchase for the tiny board project. Ultimately I like my Multicomp better; this one likely gets sold unless I change my mind on the separate nano pedal board.

TC Polytune – I have the space right now on my board for the Turbo tuner, but this one works well enough that if I have to downsize from the Turbo tuner to it in order to make room for something else on a board, I could do it. Thus, I’m keeping this for flexibility in the future.

So, what’s in your drawer, and why are you holding on to it? Mostly I’m wondering what people are keeping because they might use it later or because they just think it’s awesome in some special way.

If you have no pedals that aren’t on your board, or no pedals at all, or hate pedals, you can post a picture of a bare drawer or a cable or the like and we can all be impressed at your clever originality and comedic wit.

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have dozens of pedals on the shelf. Partially because I am too lazy to sell them and plus selling here in Europe is more of a hassle. But also because most of them I like.

Like you I have a Sputnik that isn't on the board for the moment because the of the buffer issue.

BartmanPDX likes this.
  3. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    I've got my memory boy delay, analogman mod tr2, the mole bass booster, and volume pedal on the shelf plus a couple guitar od's.

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Only three that I know of/can think of:
    Boss GT-10B (bass multieffects)
    Zoom G9.2tt (guitar multieffects)
    this1smyne 25k Stereo Expression Knob

I like having a multi-FX around for both bass and guitar, in case I need to temporarily downsize or in the event of some other disaster, hence the Boss and Zoom. But even the Boss is in danger if I need some quick cash for GAS (as might happen later this year). That's because I'm sure I could sell it and then pick up another one at a reasonable price. The Zoom is a nice box that has been discontinued, so I'm hesitant to give that one up.

The T1M, well, right now I just don't need it, but it's so small and cheap I hesitate to give it up for nothing.

jasonmitsch and BartmanPDX like this.
  5. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    I recently downsized from a PT-2 to a Pedaltrain Mini, so I have a lot sitting in my drawer

Swell B-Drive-V3
    IE Oxide
    W&C PPB
    B3K
    Fuzzrocious Dark Driving
    -All of these have been replaced by my SA OFD on the Mini, not enough space for multiple drives

SA Manta
    SA Orbital
    SA Hub
    Midi Mouse
    - playing around with midi presets was fun, but I'm finding I don't really need them right now. I'll probably come back to it later though.

SA BEF
    Boss CE5

That's it at the moment. Currently running Turbo Tuner> OC-2> SA OFD> Submarine> SA PEQ

BartmanPDX likes this.
  6. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    only my Swollen Pickle. i love this pedal but only have room for one fuzz and i really wanted a gated fuzz...... so it got kicked off the board for my Octavius Squeezer.

But i really really like the Pickle.

BartmanPDX likes this.
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Gosh, way too many pedals in storage ... some I do use and rotate in and out of the pedalboard(s) now and then, others I like to mess with at home but have no use for in the band. There are several pedals I should sell but I just hate dealing with selling and with buyers, I especially don't want to deal with tire kickers coming over to test drive pedals and then not buying.

BartmanPDX and jasonmitsch like this.
  8. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

First is the Boss ME50B, don't like COSM
    Sansamp PBDDI - couldn't get the EQ to work for me.
    Boss ODB3 and CEB3, I couldn't get any decent tones from either.
    Boss PH1R-80s MIJ , might sell it one day,it has a horrible volume boost but no volume knob, ***?
    Mooer Baby Tuner, Bass Thunderball, Bass Graphic EQ, might use them one day,the Baby Tuner is nice and compact,might just add it to my board as a mute switch so I can leave my Polytune always on to visually see if I'm in tune while playing.

9. The pedals I'm not gigging with are still a part of my bedroom rig in different capacities.

Boss LS2
    Guyatone HD2
    Mooer HustleDrive

They just don't work for me. Everything else gets used at random gigs or recording sessions.

I feel the same way about having 1 on deck in case the board goes down. That is why I bought the zoom B3 and MS60b. I plan to have presets that integrate with my whole rig, and also have "B3 only" presets so I can travel light.

Octavius Squeezer... For fuzz? Maybe I need to reconsider the device?

Selling sucks. I hate shipping. I hate waiting to meet people. There is no simple way.

BartmanPDX likes this.
  10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd say most of mine are in storage right now since I really only have about 6 on my usual board. I probably have somewhere around the 75 range now.
    Why? I like to rotate a lot. I have a few pedals that are staples and always on my board and then I have others that get swapped in and out.
    I like all of them for different reasons.
    I also play guitar so I have a bunch that are strictly for that
    I also have a few that are somewhat collectable

I have a few different boards and play in a few different bands. I've got a nano board with 3 pedals on it for one band, then I've got a nano board for my cover band with 4-5 pedals on it. Some of the places we play are tiny so I like to go minimalistic. I know having a board really isn't minimal at all, but I honestly can't think of a time in my entire playing career where I didn't have some pedals on the floor.

BartmanPDX likes this.
  11. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I have so many pedals incoming that the drawer is about to increase like three fold!

BartmanPDX, Adamixoye and jasonmitsch like this.
  12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I wish my "throwaway" pedals were as good as yours Bart. I have a few that are still nice but most of the pedals I have that I dont use in my main rig are ones that arent expensive at all and are worth more to me than can be sold for on the used market. THats why I keep them. I guess I keep most them cause I like them too.

I did however sell like 10 pedals that were just sitting around over the last 6 months,so I did cut a little. The rest though I like and will most likely keep.

BartmanPDX likes this.
  13. Better button and tighten your drawers! You don't want any fuzz to pop out...:beaver:

Savage Hippie likes this.
  14. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    I've owned an ART Phatboy for a lonnng time. It's pretty useful for recording,so even though i don't use it that much for live work,i like what it does. It's also really good for tweaking tones with a fretless bass.
    My other pedals are used rarely:
    Ebs envelope filter
    Digitech Hardwire delay/looper
    Digitech Hardwire Tube OD
    The last 2 were MF stupid deals,and are great pedals.
    And the one pedal that gets used ALL the time,the original Tech 21 VT pedal,which is indispensible for my sound.

15. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    MXR Flanger, Micro-Amp, Dist +, all from ~1978. Just keep because I'm sentimental. Those plus an old Korg tuner of the same vintage.

BartmanPDX likes this.
  16. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my entire pedalboard has been dormant for i think 2 years now. i only use my old boss looper pedal, at home.

still don't wanna sell it off.

DOD FX25, digitech whammy, VT bass. theres other stuff on there that i suppose needs to go to ebay..

17. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Thanks!

I'm in the process of designing a small board ~ 11x8 that will hold five pedals so that I can take some of the best ones to better gigs or gigs where there is more stage space. The problem for me is that I really want to take some of those pedals to gigs but I won't have room at every gig for them. So I'd like to be able to 'get by' with my green JR sized board, and then be able to take the add-on board to any gigs where it will fit. I also figure a second board offers more placement options including off to the side.

Of course, there's always the chance that I'll fall in love with something big like a new amp and just clean out the drawer for GAS relief.

18. I've only got two collecting dust, an EHX Freeze, as well as a Hotone Wally looper pedal. I just pull them out to have fun every once in a while.

19. I lately I've been selling pedals I don't use. One that's always stuck around though is the tech 21 gt2. I mainly keep it just to have for studio purposes. For demos it can be used as a pre/DI for guitar or bass. For high quality recordings with bass I like it as a second DI I can have on a separate track so I can add or take our dirt after tracking. It's actually pretty cool.

20. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Having just started to build my board in the last year, I keep discovering new pedals, this month I've bought around 10 different pedals! I keep thinking once I land on the right combination I'll sell off the ones I don't need, but they all have their own characteristics, so hard to choose!!!