1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s is the most expensive piece of equipment you had to replace because if theft?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by evlwevl, Nov 3, 2020.

1. evlwevl

evlwevl

Jun 16, 2017
    Bakersfield
    I guess I would consider myself very lucky that I have not been a victim of theft as far as I can remember. However, I finally finished paying off my boss GT1B which was around $200 while concurrently paying for My $1000 rumble set up and a $2000 bass.
    Anyway, one late night after a practice, I must have left my boss effects pedal in my vehicle after hauling everything back into my house. That night like many nights we have prowlers that are on the streets checking doors and taking anything they can get their hands on as proof by all of the Nextdoor camera footage. Unfortunately, my truck was left Unlocked and my pedal was taken. It sucks having to buy it over again because I really did like it. What was the most expensive item you had to replace due to theft or did you decide not to replace it or maybe you upgraded to something else?

Attached Files:

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    In 1980 someone broke into my apartment and stole my prized Gibson ES-345TD guitar, which, when I bought it new two years earlier, cost a little over $800.
    According to an inflation calculator, that's the equivalent of >$2,500 in 2020 dollars. According to Gibson's 2020 price list, that guitar now has an MSRP of $3,799.
    But in 1980 I didn't even have a spare $800, so I couldn't replace it.
    Strictly speaking I still haven't, although I have bought some pricier guitars since then.

evlwevl likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

not exactly the scenario you describe, but: when i operated my recording studio we had a break-in/burglary and the multiple thieves got away with about $25000 worth of equipment (c. 1990). some of the more expensive stuff was just too big/bulky to steal quickly and their 'M.O.' was to get in and out fast (we operated at all hours). we had insurance so everything was replaced with the newer models of the most essential pieces.

4. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    A P Bass, but thank god. It was a piece of late '70s trash and I got a brand spankin' new G&L L-1000 to replace it. AMAZING BASS!

5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    And PS: some skel broke into my apartment several years later and took a VCR and $100 cash, but left a '61 Precision, '66 Precision, '65 Precision, '58 Les Paul Special, '60 Les Paul Jr!!!

6. I toured the world for over a decade and played gigs for almost fifty years but only had equipment stolen once.

In 1972 I was touring with a Christian group doing one of those Word Records musicals "Life" or "Love" when the roadies stole my 1960 Blonde Gibson ES335 and 1962 Sunburst Fender Jazz Bass. They had to have stoped and unloaded the equipment truck to get to the instruments that were in the cab over, removed several instruments then reloaded the truck. I was furious but those meek and mild Jesus people protected the thieves from my fervent inquiries intent on recovering my precious instruments and I was not alone. Authorities were called and the Insurance company too after an investigation no arrests were made but the claim was paid. Believe it or not the people who had missing equipment were detained while the thieves were allowed to leave the state. The reason was to expedite our claims, which were paid in full in cash.

While I did get reimbursed for the loss I was never able to truly replace those instruments and if I ever see one of the thieves I can only hope that Jesus loves me more than a low down dirty thief.

villegastx and evlwevl like this.
  7. My first banjo was stolen in NYC while unloading. I replaced it with a much nicer banjo.

8. eliascalles

eliascalles Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mexico
    1978 Minimoog Model D. I was compensated, but that one hurt.

9. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I'm real lucky, I think somebody stole a volume pedal out of our rehearsal space (maybe a musician from one of the other bands in the space intended on "borrowing" it, and you know...). But I didn't even notice for a couple months because I had already given up on that particular pedal.

10. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I’ve had everything stolen twice.
    It’s taken many years and a lot of patience( and ££) to get back to where I am gear wise now

evlwevl likes this.
  11. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

I had a GK MBF800 stolen between sets at a gig in FT Collins Colorado. The person knew about gear because I was using a speakon cable. I patron told me that the guy was standing off the side off the stage and waited till we all went to use the can. Walked onto the stage like a roady and grabbed the amp. Luckily I had a spare to finish the gig.

12. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Had a sweet '69 Jazz stolen in the mid 90's. Played the very next gig on a borrowed Ibanez RD707, in some wild bright color (not cool for the times). I got it back, but only after it was stashed outdoors during a monsoon. Yep, the neck eventually warped, and the electronics were shot....

I replaced it with a '78 Precision that was like new, and eventually went on to a StingRay.

13. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    My mountain bike.

14. I’ve been fairly lucky. There’s been a lot of bad stories when it comes to thieves around the scene here. Probably the worst being a bands entire gear collection was stolen at the drummers house after a gig. Couple people went there for a small after party and they didn’t unload the band trailer right away and someone literally stole the entire trailer. For me it’s mainly been little stuff like stands. Which is why my band now shares a big 7 guitar stand now instead of the single ones. The worst thing I’ve had stolen was a nice levys strap. Which may not sound too bad at first but my wireless pack was attached so I had to buy another strap, a new wireless system as it was almost as much to buy just a transmitter as it was a whole new system plus I had to buy another set of strap locks so the next strap would be compatible with the bass.

15. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Stanley Clarke sig Alembic. Insurance covered it but I'd bought it in Japan and there was nothing close at the time in the UK. :(

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Ampeg svt3 and a pair of genz Benz cabs.
    Over 20 years and I still feel sour thinking about it.
    It was my first pro level rig, bought from painful savings and boring Sunday afternoon gigs.

17. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    Lucky for me, not much has walked away. I have come home short a tuner from time to time and seem to always be buying mic stands and cords after multi-band gigs. Generally, I watch my stuff like a Hawk.

villegastx likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021