What’s songs are on your “forever” practice playlist

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by drumwagon, Jan 14, 2018.

1. drumwagon

drumwagon

Sep 5, 2016
    Hey all,

I’m a long-time drummer who recently picked up bass. As I drummer there are songs I keep in a playlist and continually practice. They could be categorized as easy to play, but very hard to play well. Here’s a very short drummer list:

· Babylon Sister: Purdie Shuffle
    · Pride and Joy: Texas Shuffle
    · Girl from Ipanema: Bossanova
    · Funky Drummer, Sissy Strut, 50 ways to leave you lover…….Etc.

The idea is they are all songs you may never master, but just playing them makes you a better player, and broadens what you bring to the music you play.

Does anyone have equivalent for bass? I’d be curious to see your list.

Thanks!

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

sorry: i don't have that list for my bass playing...so much. i do tend to play some favorites (goes in phases) for awhile --- and then i move on to other tunes as i'm introduced to them or as i'm reminded of them.

but i get what you're talking about: keeping the bar high enough! :thumbsup:

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Here's one to get you started. ;)

4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Marcus Miller: What is Hip

Groove Doctor likes this.
  5. Rush - Tom Sawyer, The Trees, Subdivisions, Marathon, Natural Science
    Tool - 46&2, The Pot, Sober, Stinkfist

I have many practice playlists, one for my main band, one for my sub band, a retired songs playlist (songs from previous bands or songs that were dropped), and a "fun" list (relevant to this thread). When it's practice time I sum them all together and hit shuffle. I skip a some here and there (mainly from the retired list) but whenever one of those listed about comes up I always play it.

6. The Tower by Bruce Dickinson is always in my practice rotation. It's also one of my all-time favorite songs.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I've played many a cover tunes over the decades (bass and guitar). Some easy, and some not. But, the way music is now with copyright protection, I seek out unknown (or lesser known) groups and musicians to get inspiration to create my own music. I occasionally play the cover tunes for practice, but my focus is on creating music using what I gained from the cover tunes.

8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    They charge you to practice them or ? :wideyed:

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On"

Jborg likes this.
  10. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    None really. They come, they go. Whatever technique I’m working on is in heavy rotation but it changes. Recently went through an EDM phase, synth pedal, TC Ditto days but that too has passed.

On upright I’m working everyday to become as proficient as I am on the slab. There Jordu, Giant Steps, Stella by Starlight, Joy Spring, Waltz for Debbie, etc are perennials.

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I'm not sure I know what this thread is about, but fwiw I play through one movement of Bach's 'cello suite #6 in D Major nearly every single time I am practicing the bass, and have so since the early 1980s. Not sure if I'm getting any better at it... :)

12. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Florida, USA
    Contradanza (Paquito d’Rivera) adapted to bass is one I warm up with

13. drumwagon

drumwagon

Sep 5, 2016
    Thanks for the replies, playlist started

14. Abe Laboriel's bass line here is superbly crafted.

Bass Cover

Bass Lesson

Bass Line transcription

It took me months to learn it properly when I was young and I still love playing it.

15. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Bach’s Cello Suite Prelude in G. I transposed and adapted it to 4 string and it’s a great exercise in everything.

Jborg likes this.
  16. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    For me personally it's

Funk 49
    Don't Let Me Down
    46&2
    Lemon Song

17. Shanannigan

Shanannigan

Feb 25, 2011
    Ontario
    The Cello Suites. I'll probably be practicing them for the rest of my life.

Jborg likes this.
  18. It is my life goal to have Sir Duke down. I haven’t even started yet. I’m actually in the process of building a new mega list to practice with and am having trouble getting started. Maybe this thread will give me some ideas.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  19. Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    petrus61 likes this.
  20. All The Things You Are.

Jborg likes this.