1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s the bass you get the best overdrive sound with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, Aug 13, 2019.

1. And what’s special about it?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Ric....it's a Ric.

3. wncBass

wncBass Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Jazz bass with flats :)

Axstar, Yup, aarjamson and 2 others like this.
  4. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    depends on how much overdrive you are implying

strange Im responding to this thread because I don't overdrive anywhere, nor am I a P-bass guy, nor do I use picks except for studiowork when called for , but what I always thought as a great overdrive sound is a P-bass with rounds, played with a pick, and slightly overdriven through an SVT head/cab

bmac314, Blueinred, Meaculpa and 3 others like this.
  5. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

My gretsch electromatic junior jet for sure. It sounds massive and super over driven when I boost the input gain. I don't even need a OD pedal with it. One of the best overdriven sounds I've got out of a bass. The mini humbucker's are pretty hot.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    For warm overdrive my best comes from my E series MIJ Fender P with Chromes. It's just gooey in all the best ways.

For a more aggressive OD, my parts P bass with PAF era DiMarzio and standard issue D'Addario XL nickels. It has more bite to it while still retaining that P bass roundness.

7. My Bogart Blackstone using an EBS Billy Sheehan Overdrive Deluxe. I also have a Darkglass but I prefer the slightly warmer, less gain heavy sound of the EBS. I put the bass in passive mode and just dial in a little drive - think John Myung's level of grit on '6:00' by Dream Theater.

My brother has a Yamaha Attitude Ltd II and that coupled with the Billy SheehaN OD makes for some absolutely sensational tones. Like having a Niqvin concert on tap!

8. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Probably just depends on your personal preference.

I played Spectors for a long time with EMGs and their HAZlab preamp, but surprisingly (to me, at least) I prefer the overdriven sound of a passive Jazz now.

9. Reverend Watt.

teh-slb and Spirit of Ox like this.
  10. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Jazz/Tbird/Stingray/Rick. Depends on the day.

11. I've never liked distortion on a bass until I heard Dingwall played through Darkglass. If I ever got the chance to own this setup, I will begin a completely new musical project centered around that sound.

Larchi and mmon77 like this.
  12. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Kentucky
    Whatever Beck's guy was doing on Odelay, that's the overdrive sound I want.

13. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
  14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    4004L SPC into Tech21 GT2 or tc electronic MOJOMOJO.

I think it's the Jetglo that makes the real difference, however.

Spirit of Ox and GIBrat51 like this.
  15. G&L L-2500 in passive mode, set to series coils and either neck pickup or both. Dial your treble and bass roll-off to taste for your specific overdrive. I've been using a Darkglass B7K, just picked up a YYZ pedal, and sometime bring out my Orange OB1 for some old school OD/Fuzz fun.

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I like that sound a lot, but it's not a sound that works in the genre I play in (church music). The overdrive/distortion sound in my head is not really distorted sounding - it's just a harmonically rich thing. I'm close, but still trying to figure out the way to get it. I've only been at this quest for 5 or 6 years, you can't expect results all that quickly.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  17. An Aerodyne Precision. I don't know why, but it has its own baked-in OD.

18. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    One slightly drunken practice, add a Peavey T40 and an Ibanez Tube Screamer! Wham!

19. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    My Thunderbird.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All of them.