1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s the bass you get the best overdrive sound with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, Aug 13, 2019.

1. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    10% overwound Fralin J's.

2. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    I like a little grit in my sound but I don't think I actually go into overdrive territory.

3. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    32" scale Aria CSB

4. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

Fingers/Pick, it's in the hands.....

5. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    Anyone with jazz pups and Rotosound 66s

Spyrosaab likes this.
  6. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

My Laklands and Fenders all sound great overdriven. They’re great basses; they sound good no matter what.

7. You must go to a pretty cool church, for overdriven/distorted bass in the choir! :D

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I do.

B-Lo and TolerancEJ like this.
  9. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    You may be surprised at how my CCM songs have overdriven tones in them these days. Good times indeed :thumbsup:

TolerancEJ likes this.
  10. @micguy @B-Lo The bassist and guitarist at my church are rarely in-tune. It drives me nuts sometimes. lol

B-Lo likes this.
  11. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    Time to put them on a tuna diet lol.

Tuna.

lucianoxrp and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Fender J or P when plugged in thought this.

The P does seem a little better though.

upload_2019-8-13_15-43-30.

13. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

That's essentially my recipe, though I've got a Mesa Buster with a TC Electronic Spectracomp and Night Owl Industries Edison EF86 tube preamp out front helping matters. Hot pickups, too. As for what's "special" about it, which the OP also asks, I'm not quite sure; the inherent EQ curve in Precision-style basses might just lend itself to overdrive particularly well to many ears.

14. I've been rocking a B7K for a few years now, but being a big fan of Geddy's tone, I'm certainly tempted by the YYZ. Care to make a comparison between the two? If so, please PM me (would rather not derail). I'm mostly curious as to whether the YYZ has more warmth to it's sound where the B7K might lack, or if they're more than less a similar kind of scooped grind.

In response to the OP, I'm gonna have to second whoever said medium scale Aria. I bought a TSB last year and have gigged and practiced with it countless times since.. It's almost like those old MB pickups were made to be driven (think, another earlier reply where one claimed it's like the driven sound is "baked in" to their pickups). I've since bought a few other models because I loved these pickups so much.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  15. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    A Ric 4003 with some overdrive and a pick?
    [​IMG]

I pluck with my fingers for the most part but I can't help but use a pick on my 4003. I haven't found a better bass for it, personally.

Meaculpa, Bboopbennie and Inconnu like this.
  16. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    That would be my mongrel
    20180621_093447.
    Has a good thumpy old school fuzzy tone with flats and can get a great grindy overdrive with SS rounds. Mostly I think it's the really hot guitar humbucker in roughly a P bass position.

Meaculpa and TolerancEJ like this.
  17. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yeah, Jetglo seems to work with everything...:whistle:

Jeff Scott and Inconnu like this.
  18. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I was going to reply with the exact same thing. Every one of my basses handles overdrive in it's own unique way. The majority of my basses have humbuckers, but even my single coil Jazz delivers a pretty sweet overdriven tone.

If I had to pick, my choice would be one of my Ibanezes - an SRX400 in which I swapped out the Phat-II preamp for a 4 band Audere. It has a lot of focus (MM-ish humbucker really close to the Ray "Sweet Spot") and the High-Mid control on the Audere really pushes my overdrives in a nice way.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. Always loved you replies Lug... around here as well as on Harmony Central 15 years ago... (getting nostalgic, sorry... it’s either the beer or the broken ankle talking).

A Ric sounds great with overdrive! If I could only find one my fingers and wallet could be synchronized in being friends with I’d be a very happy guy!

20. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    And I mean, it's like choosing a favorite child anyway.

JimmyM likes this.