1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s the bass you get the best overdrive sound with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Same thing we do every night, Pinkey. Modulus Q5, Smith compressors, and a hand built Klon knockoff.

2. Rickenbacker 4003 with rounds, no contest. This bass sounds great with any flavor of dirt or no dirt at all. All that high end harmonic sparkle and low end growl just sings when you drive it hard.

And no, I don't really like Geddy's Jazz tone as much as I liked his Ric tone. On Clockwork Angels, for example, it kind of sounds like he's overdoing the drive a bit to me. It sounds cool, but I can't help thinking the album would sound better if he just used his Ric and signal chain from the Farewell to Kings era.

My Westone Spectrum, on the other hand, which is a great bass, doesn't handle dirt so well. Maybe it's the really hot humbuckers on it, but it seems to sound its best played dry into the amp. If the amp can get just a little breakup with the gain turned up it'll do that, but mostly clean is best for that bass.

3. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Interesting; I use my Spectrum specifically for driving my tube amp. I haven't really bothered adding any other clipping devices to the chain with that one, I suppose.

Spectrum likes this.
  4. I have a couple of Ampegs which already have a bit of overdrive "baked in" to the circuit, and my Spectrum sounds great through them with no extra help, especially when I crank the amp. But when I try to run it through, say, a Darkglass b3k, it just comes off to me as kind of honky and fizzy sounding. Works okay in a mix, but not my favorite sound at all.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  5. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    The one, whichever one, in front of my Pork Loin.

Pedal - that's a pedal, y'know.

HelpImaRock and alack like this.
  6. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    i currently own two basses, a p with a double j pickup in the bridge and an '85 Ibanez rb850. both sound killer overdriven (like, a lot of overdrive. i generally test amps by cranking them all the way. probably because I've been a guitarist in another life) right at the center detente of their blend pots. just a nice full sound

JimmyM likes this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Strangely enough, it was a Heartfield 5. I wouldn't mind having another.

Riis

8. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Passive for sure, whatever it is.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I find that overdrive sounds best with a P-Bass.

alack likes this.
  10. What's overdrive?

11. upload_2019-8-13_17-32-44.
    I find that a 8 or 12 string bass wired for independent pickup output is just the ticket.
    All that bandwidth with one pickup kept dry and clean and distort the other pickup to taste and you be stylin'!
    I also like a Ricky through the stereo outputs with one channel clean and the other distorted.
    [​IMG]

12. I personally like my humbucker basses for overdrive and fuzz.

13. @infamusblkdeath I started this thread instead: Tech 21 SansAmp YYZ vs. Darkglass B7K

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    infamusblkdeath likes this.
  14. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    anything with two pickups that aren't spaced too close together.

jazz bass, rick, good choices.

another great way to go is anything with a mudbucker or very far up woofer-style pickup. a dirty fat SVT type of thing is great with those.

15. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I have a couple that I play through a hit the rails boosted GK 400rb

16. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    I second this re: Audere. That Hi Mid band is the magic. Roll it up for the most in-your-face tones, or down for the classic vibes. Super useful control on an excellent preamp.

FugaziBomb likes this.
  17. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Ric.

noermaen and sears like this.
  18. My warwicks, bongo, j bass, and rick all sound amaizing in their own ways for this

19. Definitely my Dingwall ng-2. What’s special about it? Parts wise most of the bass is pretty straight forward. Alder body and maple neck is about as traditional as it gets. hipshot hardware is nice. The multiscale aspect probably helps some because the lower range of the instrument has more focus without sounding wimpy. But I think the electronics are a biggest part of why it sounds great with overdrives. It has two reverse p style pickups(pretty rare) it has a selector so you can put the pickups in series (which I like so much I leave mine in that setting all the time) another thing is the darkglass eq is really great imo. It’s very passive sounding when run flat. In fact if I have the eq completely flat it’s nearly impossible to tell if I have the bass in passive mode or active mode. You basically have to boost or cut eq and flip the active/passive switch back and forth to really hear of the bass is on active or passive mode. The cool thing about that is when using overdrives and fuzz you don’t have that harshness or sterile vibe you get when using dirt pedals with a lot of active basses. As for dirt pedals. For the last 4 years or so I’ve been a Darkglass guy. Mainly the B7k and Alpha/ omega.

20. ktdal

ktdal Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    My Gibson RD Artist/P-Bass have the best defined fuzz/overdrive tone.

RD Standard bass has the best doom metal sound with fuzz/Overdrive.

Gibson Ripper has a great response to feedback. It has an awesome overdriven tone. I use the feedback a lot playing with a band.