1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s the bass you get the best overdrive sound with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, Aug 13, 2019.

1. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I have two different overdriven tones that I really like.

The first is through the DP-3X pedal. It nails the dUg tone, can get close to a Chris Squire style tone, and can do other things too. It's also really good at bringing back some of the top end lost from dead strings if you're like me and don't like spending all your money on bass strings.

2nd one would be a split patch tone I use on my Helix, mostly for recording. I have the top end going through the B7k pedal model, and I keep the low end clean, save for some compression. The whole signal gets combined again, some EQ, and a little more compression to top it off. I would say it's inspired by Nolly's tone on the earlier Periphery songs. Probably would be allot closer if I had a Dingwall, which is on my short list.

Both of these work with any of my basses, including the fretless. They both sound more aggressive with the Thumb, probably due to it's inherent mid-forwardness, and pickup placement.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Well I'm nothing original 2003 p with j neck string mute on neck.. Ti flats.. Fealabs growler.. Damnation audio mbd-1 Very clean Thunderfunk..

3. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    A Telecaster Bass with Thunderbucker Ranch humbuckers. Plays like a Fender, sounds like a T-bird.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Whatever I said on Harmony Central.....I was drunk! My account got hacked!....I was going through a bad time! I Didn't MEAN IT, I'm SORRY!

What was your user name back then?

GrapeBass likes this.
  5. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    The bass I play that sounds the best overdriven is my friends 51’RI PBass... second is my 50s Classic PBass...

6. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    My Frankenstein P-bass with a Lace Alumintone in the bridge position into my Fender Studio Bass amp, connected two 15's, & cranked up to 7 or above .

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

8. My user name was The Unknown. I went with a french version of it (Inconnu means Unknown, here’s a french class for y’all), following Francois’ (JazzAd) advice back then. He said it would be way cooler, so if you hate it, it’s his fault ;)

9. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    My Dingwall NG3 and B7Ku.
    Middle Pickup.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yesterday I modified my Squier VM P bass which has the mudbucker into a short scale by installing an SX shortscale J neck. I plugged it in and was surprised that I was able to get an excellent overdrive sound by simply digging in, even with the D'Addario nylon tapewound strings I installed. I found that pickup height determines the amount of overdrive. I don't really need it for my Jazz duo but it's there if I ever do.

I never noticed that overdrive when that bass was a longscale but the setup may have been very different.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I remember you! You never paid your HCBF dues! No Senior cruise for you! :D