1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What’s the cheapest bass you’ve been/are amazed with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, Oct 4, 2018.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Amazing when that happens isn't it? I've done that on Regurge and Fleabay a few times thinking naw, too low, they'll never bite...and viola...NBD! ;)

2. B-Mac

Not to jump in and hijack this, but if you ever see one at GC try it out. One of the best kept secrets...seriously.

Just one thing to be aware of...there are two 'Zone' Dean basses.
    One is the Dean Zone and one is the Dean Custom Zone.
    The Custom Zone is the one to try out. Comes in Neon Green, Neon Pink and Neon Yellow.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. B-Mac

My second DEAN entry here:
    Last October 2017 I got this very nice Dean Edge Pro for $220 Neck thru, Brass nut, Bad Ass II Bridge
    Active 3 band preamp and flame maple top. This was a real steal IMHO
    tsjezygyeca3q4xxgrhv_wdp-. t4hgcfiozklsts4vsi5l_wdp-.

4. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Beautiful !

B-Mac and Dave Neal like this.
  5. B-Mac

Thanks.

I especially like the early ones that still have the Bad Ass II bridge before they switched to the monolithic bridge.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    I am pretty amazed by the quality of the Ibanez Mikro I bought used a couple of months ago.

Perfect very stable neck having perfect fretwork too, great unplugged tone, quite decent plugged tone as well, though swapping out the stock pickups did help significantly on the quality of it, raising it's plugged tone to straight out amazing.
    Have had no problems with the stock hardware or electronics either, beside a minor issue with the barrel type jack output that does seem to be a bit to the flimsy side, though it was easily fixed by praying one of the small metal tips inside it a bit outwards with a tiny screwdriver to make better contact.

I realize I might have been extremely lucky though, as I know how much the quality varies with budget instruments, even if I mostly heard good things about the Mikro basses.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    EatS1stBassist, B-Mac and wintremute like this.
  7. B-Mac

Likewise. I have the Walnut Version and it is a sweet little bass.

EatS1stBassist and Karlson541 like this.
  8. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Hah! I remember explaining to my wife how I bought a bass "by accident" since I never thought they'd bite.

EatS1stBassist and B-Mac like this.
  9. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I have an Eric Bass signature version of that bass, and it's great! Only paid $200 for mine.

B-Mac and EatS1stBassist like this.
  10. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Not that thrilled with the white pickguard or that light rose colored paint job, but it's better than several of the colors that Billy has chosen for the Attitude basses.
    It might look better with a black pickguard or some other pickguard color.

Dave Neal and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    F0384B20-527D-4D3C-84EE-C96723F670E5. F233387B-0822-4DBA-AA27-88C72E6F5BA5. 012B3798-B340-4B4B-9FA2-C59C882D9C45. D5B0D4B0-FC54-4886-9156-4ACFE57DD08F.
    Just picked up a Mikro yesterday!! Man I love it great sounding through my Rumble! It allows the old hands to really play. A bunch of sweet spots! I was able to do things I was never able to do! Anything can be modded. Which is what I usually do but for now I am very satisfied!!

12. rallen

rallen Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Somerset KY
    Same experience as Old Bastard...Ibanez Talman 100. Super lite, has as much output as my Yamaha 504 or my Ibanez Sr 500. Paid less than $200

EatS1stBassist and Old Blastard like this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Great price...they were first listed at $549 or more, right?

14. Clipped

Clipped

Aug 9, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    SX Ursa 1 - Fretless
    Loved it (not quite as much as its replacement, but I loved it)

15. cosmic53

cosmic53

Jan 20, 2005
    Milano, Italy
    It was a Sire Marcus Miller. One of the models with 18V electronics. It was a blast turned off and a chameleon turned on. It surprised me how many EQ settings made sense and could actually be useful in the right circumstances.

lowdownthump and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. Sweet, I have a sunburst just like Carol's that I got for less than $300 on Ebay.

17. OK... cool. I will keep this in mind. Thanks!

18. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Many years ago, (maybe 1969 or 70) got an Electra Les Paul copy bass, new. In fact, Gibson sued Electra for putting out these models. It was a killer little bass, used it for years, finally converted it to frettless and updated the pups and the the tuners. I still have it. Rarely gets played, but every time I touch it, it brings backs many fond memories.

. Electra LP Bass.

Electra LP.
    Pics are the original bass, before conversion and updates,

Like Joe says, "Life's been good to me so far." Maybe one day I'll get the Maserati... LOL.

19. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    Yes , Billy has some off the wall color choices.. god love him though.

20. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    Basswood(Linden) is a tonewood and excellent qualities when making guitar bodies, cost, availability, workability, finishing and last but certainly not least it's weight. I makes great sense when producing low-cost guitar bodies.Basswood | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)