1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What’s the first gig you went to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yonni, Nov 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Edit - It’s been pointed out that the title means something different in the US so by gig I mean concert or show you watched:

A lot of discussion in the 60s & 70s rock thread ended up talking about first concerts, So I thought I’d start a thread:

My first one was Genesis at Guildford Civic Hall. I think it was 1980. I was 13 and headed down from school. Tickets were £3.50 and the venue was small enough and all standing to get with 20 foot of the stage. Phil Collins lived about 3 miles down the road in a village called Shalford at the time and Chartehouse School (where they originally formed) was about 5 or 6 miles away so this was a hometown gig. I think Rutherford lived pretty close too. Anyway, being swayed around in the hot crowd to songs I’d been listening to for years (plus Duke, which they’d just released), started a fire. For the next 10 years I always headed for the mosh pit.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    rollie 55, DirtDog, TrevorR and 3 others like this.
  2. Noble_Rot

Noble_Rot

Jul 30, 2017
    Steppenwolf at Wagner College in Staten Island NY. It was 1968 and I was 15 sitting in the 2nd row dead center. The venue was a gym with folding chairs. It was somewhat of a life changing experience.

3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    My first gig was my band playing at the Jerry Lewis Telethon, It was 1981. I had played bass for maybe four months at the time.

My first show was going to see the Beach Boys. With my mother. I'm guessing that was around the same year, possibly 1980.

nixdad and Bunk McNulty like this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

My first was Paul Revere and The Raiders headlining one of the last Dick Clark package shows, in the spring of 1968. While they were getting past their prime, and their goofy schtick was getting dated quick after the Psychedelic era moved in, I still loved the rocking singles from '65-'67, plus my parents let me go since they thought it would be good clean entertainment(I was just into Jr. High at the time). Then late in summer I saw Eric Burdon and The Animals on their last tour, with pre-Police Andy Summers in the band, as I found out later. Finally, in early November, the piece de resistance, The Jimi Hendrix Experience(with a horrible opening band, Cat Mother)touring for "Electric Ladyland". Quite a shift in taste within less than a year. Also, in there during the summer at a 'teen fair' I saw my first hippie band, a local outfit called The Mystic Number National Bank, who had gotten a record out on a smaller national label. In a photo I discovered online in the last few years, I think that's me on the left in the striped T-shirt, but I don't recall my parents letting me grow my hair that long(yet). I do remember standing off to that side and having a shirt like that, so who knows...
    KCScan-111121-0025a.

fretter, 4 Strings Good and Yonni like this.
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My cousin's wedding in Philadelphia in the summer of 1962 just after my tenth birthday. I never knew the name of the band but they had an accordion and tuba. It was also the first time I ever saw my parents dance.

johnp352 likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Mountain, 1974, at my high school gym. 1st and last rock concert held there

Bruiser Stone, BurnOut, ahc and 5 others like this.
  7. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    ‘91 maybe? Bryan Adams and The Village People.

armyadarkness likes this.
  8. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    I saw the Marine Corps band and I’m sure other musical groups from a very young age, but my first REAL concert was Iron Maiden / Anthrax at the Meadowlands Arena.

Too young to drive (or really be in that environment) so my friends father took two friends and me....it was epic, as we were totally obsessed with both bands!

I don’t think I’d ever heard anything so loud, and I clearly remember the entire top of the arena being filled with smoke, and that smoke having a very peculiar smell that I hadn’t experienced before...).

I haven’t thought of that for a while, but what a cool father to take us to that and put up with it for the entire show - I know as a fact that was the farthest thing from Music he would’ve enjoyed.

Larchi and JeffC23 like this.
  9. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    My first gig* was a couple weeks ago...

My first rock concert was a Day on the Green type thing (outdoor stadium, day long "festival" type scene) in Sacramento, 1981 I think. I wasn't all that much into rock yet so it was more of a social thing. Line up as I remember it:
    Rick Springfield
    Gama
    Montreaux
    Santana
    Doobie Brothers

Had a great time...

*First professional gig on bass guitar - technically my first gig was when I was about 8 singing for in the church youth choir for a Christmas show. Many gigs on horns in high school/college and post college.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Mahavishnu Orchestra at Teatro Monumental in Madrid. There wasn't a lot of current bands visiting Spain during Franco's reign, so we saw what we could. I thought they were terrible. Modern jazz fusion to my Eagles/The Byrds ears. In retrospect, they were probably very good. I saw Jethro Tull in the same venue, and it was music I could understand. It changed my world.

red_rhino, fretter, getbent and 2 others like this.
  11. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I went to several country shows with my parents (Kenny Rogers multiple times, including one with Dottie West... Gatlin Brothers... Alabama, etc.) along with a few rock shows (Springsteen, Huey Lewis & The News, Men At Work, Beach Boys). Good memories at all.

But the first rock show I went to without my folks was Kiss... back in the sans make-up days. We even got to meet the guys before the show and snap photos as they were checking into their hotel... a fun day for sure!

DirtDog likes this.
  12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Same show; but, at the Cambria County War Memorial Arena in Johnstown, PA March 1965.

CaravanRichmond65.

nixdad and BurnOut like this.
  13. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    The Nice at the Red Lion in Leytonstone (that's an East London pub for you good guys over the other side!) £1 to get in, no tickets, just queue (sorry, stand in line :)) outside, musta been about 1965, Keith Emerson tossing a Hammond around the stage, throwing knives at a Leslie cab, what is going on?????? Never will forget that. Had tinnitus ever since!

johnp352, Yonni and Londo Molari like this.
  14. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hey cool, My first was Steppenwolf 1969.

15. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My first was Steppenwolf 1969. I was 10 my big brother took me. But I knew every song they did.

DrThumpenstein and getrhythm like this.
  16. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I just wanted to say thank you to you all for making me feel young!! So far, this is the only one that happened AFTER I was born:
    :roflmao:

17. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I guess technically I saw my dad at a gig when I was like 1, but besides that, I saw Colin Gilmore when I was 6. First big show was Rush when I was 12, when they came through town in 2013.

18. First time I saw a non-local/non-regional band was Chris Spedding in New London CT, ca. 1981

19. I am going to take "first gig" literally and not just to mean professional performance and say that (probably) my
    first gig was taking in the Blue Shadows, a very tight, well-equipped band out of Shreveport's Byrd High School.
    Their bass player had a Gibson EB2-DC, which probably infected me with GAS.

No, scratch that. The FIRST gig would have been another local band playing for the opening of a shopping mall.
    That bass player was rocking a P, and when the band kicked off "Honey Don't" and he hit that E followed by the low C, I was gone!! THAT is what made me want to be a bass player.

basted likes this.
  20. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The first concerts I saw were local folk concerts but my first big concert-going experience was seeing ABBA (I was four years old and a fan, which is why my parents took me). Can't say I remember much from that night... :D